If You Could Go Back In Time...

M4TT

Ok so I'm in the process of getting a swimbait reel. What I'm going to be throwing is SS250s, Triple Trouts, Hudds, Slammers and punkers.

I've already read the threads about the lexa 300s, calcuttas, curados, etc. but what I want to know is...

If you were able to go back in time, would you still have bought your lexa, curado, etc. or would you have waited and saved up for a conquest or Calcutta?

Right now I have about $300 ready to drop on a reel but want to know what you guys would do..

If i could go back in time I wouldnt change anything LOL iRod swimbait rods + lexa 300s are sick! Had loomis + cardiffs then upgraded to curado dsvs a while ago back and the lexa for me hands down fishes great the last few seasons. Even took it to the saltwater for tuna and had no issues, used braid as backing to get more line and that reel had plenty of power to fight big tuna let alone crank in a double digit bass. I have Calcuttas and I do use them in saltwater I dont throw them much with swimbaits, maybe troll/longline a floater now and then, but I perfer the low profile feel of the lexa overall for casting and grinding.

Edited by JohnMarino

It honestly depends on what you want from a reel. Do you just want to fish those lures you described above? Then any of those mid tier options would do the job. Do you want something that "Wow"s you every single time you hold it in your hand and turn the handle? Then Conquest, and Ryoga Shrapnel is the way to go.

I really like a Curado 301e paired with a MH rod (Dobyns 395, etc) for accurately and quietly casting 2.5 to 4 oz baits around tight quarters cover.

For bigger baits or in more open water I much prefer the newer Calcutta Conquest. For a round reel it sits pretty low on the rod. I don't have large hands but I still find it very comfortable. It's built like a tank.

I seriously recommend trying out some reels/setups before committing. I have all of the reels you described, and personally I love the strength and feel of my round Calcuttas, but hate that I can't get more than the tip of my thumb on the spool when casting a heavy bait like a 250 like I can a low profile reel. I've even gone to lengths of removing some of the upper support structure on my round reels, and it greatly helped but still ended up going back to my Curados. Good luck

Curado 300's have always been fine for me, the only problem is line capacity...I can almost spool it when throwing lg punkers. Calcuttas are great reels but the top bar makes it difficult to hold the spool at times when throwing heavier baits, which as we all know can have devastating effects!