Lexa 300 casting problem

Jace D

I've been thinking about going and buying a few new reels and the Lexa 300's have been what I've been looking at the most. I had never used one until this weekend when I had the opportunity to use a friends reel. It was a brand new 300 and it seemed like a nice reel. However, twice, while attempting to cast, the reel locked up and my bait stopped in mid air, crashing into the water. Luckily, the baits didn't snap off but it felt like they could have easily been gone. I thought it might have just been the reel I was using but my buddy was using another identical reel and it did the same thing to him a few times. He said that it was just because we didn't get the button down all the way before casting, which may have been true, but I don't want to have a reel that is so easy to malfunction, especially throwing expensive baits.

Have you guys experienced this problem before? I just need some new low-pro reels and I like the price on the Lexa but I feel like I may need to stick with the Curado 300's I've been using if I'm not confident in the Lexa.

Some people don't like the Daiwa Lexa 300, I for one is very please with it. The drag is extremely strong, cast great and works like a champ, I bought 2 used ones so I replace the bearings just on the safe side and has worked well. The issue you mention never has happen to my reels but who knows maybe they do have an issue or maybe they dont. Either way a lexa is a good bargain reel and Shimano Curado is also good. I just like my Lexa better.

I have two Lexa 300s, and haven't had this or any other problems with them yet. Although they seem to need to be clean, oiled and greased more than other reels I have. They have to best cast controls out of all the reels I've used, which is a big reason I like them.

I bought one last year (first sb reel) had it for a couple months same thing happened and it was so bad that when I would cast it would make a hideous sound. Even on the retrieve I could hear/feel gears grinding. I ended up getting so paranoid about it happening again and casting off an expensive bait I put the reel in a drawer and bought a curado 301

I've been thinking about going and buying a few new reels and the Lexa 300's have been what I've been looking at the most. I had never used one until this weekend when I had the opportunity to use a friends reel. It was a brand new 300 and it seemed like a nice reel. However, twice, while attempting to cast, the reel locked up and my bait stopped in mid air, crashing into the water. Luckily, the baits didn't snap off but it felt like they could have easily been gone. I thought it might have just been the reel I was using but my buddy was using another identical reel and it did the same thing to him a few times. He said that it was just because we didn't get the button down all the way before casting, which may have been true, but I don't want to have a reel that is so easy to malfunction, especially throwing expensive baits.

Have you guys experienced this problem before? I just need some new low-pro reels and I like the price on the Lexa but I feel like I may need to stick with the Curado 300's I've been using if I'm not confident in the Lexa.

That happened to the 3 I own too, I have 2 100's and a 300, they all started to do that with in a year. the more I used them, the more frequent it became. I lost a few good baits and now I don't fish them. I loved that reel for the first 6 months, then the problems started. It sucks because it's such a affordable reel, just not built to last imo. I press the button down hard as hell and it still happens, definitely a defect in the reel, not the user imo.

how are you guys maintaining your reels? are you cleaning them or just fishing and forgetting?

how are you guys maintaining your reels? are you cleaning them or just fishing and forgetting?

The reels that my friend and I were using were brand new out of the box. Maybe they just had a defect, I'm not sure. But, as far as fishing and forgetting, I think I've pulled my Curado 300 apart maybe one time to clean and lube it and I've never had this issue (or any issue for that matter) with that reel. Not saying you should never clean your reels but I've just never had that particular problem with any of my reels. Seems like some guys have had no issues and some have had this exact issue so it may just be a random defect that only affects some reels. Edited by Jace D