SPIRAL WRAP LEFT OR RIGHT?

CCARROLLFISH

it doesn't matter which direction the spiral goes. Personally though, I hate spiral wrapped rods, the guides are more vulnerable to breaking as they always make contact with the surface the are laid down on. With a standard setup, all your guides rest freely upright with out making surface contact when laid down. Also, they suck to store in rod lockers, again the guides are vulnerable to breaking when storing and removing them from the locker.  As far as casting goes, I don't see a difference nor do I feel it's better for fighting fish, it seems like a gimmick to me. 

Stupid question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but for all your smart ones out there - what is the point of the spiraling?

Does it help with side casting or does it help more with retrieves, etc?

post-33334-Im-stupid-ok-gif-keanu-parent

Edited by Tim McAuliffe

I have Rt hand reels...so I have "Right" Spiral Wrapped Rods...

For me personally I noticed the most difference while fighting a fish...Some people may disagree. But, I reeled a 7 pounder in over grass like it was a dink with my LDC Heavy. To me it just make sense-The line isn't rubbing on the rod when your fighting a fish.

But to each his own

I have Rt hand reels...so I have "Right" Spiral Wrapped Rods...

For me personally I noticed the most difference while fighting a fish...Some people may disagree. But, I reeled a 7 pounder in over grass like it was a dink with my LDC Heavy. To me it just make sense-The line isn't rubbing on the rod when your fighting a fish.

But to each his own

If the guides are spaced properly on the blank, then the line should never touch it anyway. At least that's what I've always been told. Of course I don't own any spiral wrapped rods either.

Stupid question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but for all your smart ones out there - what is the point of the spiraling?

Does it help with side casting or does it help more with retrieves, etc?

post-33334-Im-stupid-ok-gif-keanu-parent

The purpose/theory is that it eliminates the torque on your wrist and rod twist while fighting a fish and it keeps the line off the rod. 

Here is an article that goes into details about spiral wrapped rods: http://www.captneilf.com/intro4.htm

I was super skeptical about having it done...ultimately was talked into it by my rod builder...had two both wrapped left on phenix ultra classic 800h...I can't compare the action of the rod with a conventional style guides on the same blank but I feel the action is far more responsive and the rod feels more powerful then on my shimano crucial or irod...could be just the blanks..my dobyns 867 still feels amazing conventional wrapped...I don't have any issues with storage or damage on the deck of the boat...fact is if you step on rod guide it doesn't matter which side it's on...I will continue to have any custom rod built with the spiral wrap...again it doesn't matter which way the spiral goes for retrieve but rule of thumb is left/left and right/right...hope this helps

I have two Phenix XG3 crankbait rods, one stock, one custom with a spiral wrap.  I don't notice any big difference in casting distance but notice the difference between the two on the retrieve.  The spiral wrap rod/reel will stay put when cranking or reeling a fish in, with the reel staying face up.  On the the stock wrap rod however the reel will have some torque where it will want to roll over and under the rod.  You can't really notice on smaller cranks but after chucking a larger crankbait for the better part of the day having the spiral wrap seems to help.

The best example to use was one I read where if you stuck a normal conventional wrap casting rod and a spiral wrap rod into a rod holder and troll.  On the normal conventional wrap rod the reel will roll around upside down as the line gets pulled on the troll.  On the spiral wrap rod the reel will stay put with reel facing up as the line gets pulled on the troll.

I fish with both types and can't say I notice very much difference. I do a fair amount of cranking with 9" slammers & big rats but with those baits my rod tip is usually in the down position when reeling so it makes little difference.

I've always read right/right and left/left because of the way the reel handle lays.

For the the spiral wrap itself, theoretically, it is to reduce torque when fighting a fish. I don't find it necessary for a swimbait rod that is such a stout stick pulling 6 to 8lb fish on average. I have a few lighter custom rods that I use for cranking and spinner baits that seem to benefit from the spiral wraps.

However, I guess the cool factor is worth it when people ask if your rod is defective.