Smith Baits?....Baitsmith? What's the deal

KeepinItReelFishing

We all have seen, know of, bought, or sold Baitsmith trouts and know they no longer are in production.  Forgive me, but I don't know / understand the history of Baitsmith ceasing production and how it relates to the "Smith Baits" products that are still available.

For example Wired2Fish did a review of the BaitSmith topwater gill

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1465044-baitsmith-wounded-bluegill-topwater

And we can see this is the same lure as that which is still sold on TackleWarehouse under the "Smith Bait" name:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Smith_Baits_Series_X_Topwater_Sunfish/descpage-BSSZ.html

The Smith Baits "Hitch X" glide bait and "Swim & Jig" swimbait also keep being restocked at Tacklewarehouse.  So....for those in the know, is this the same company and if so why did they stop making the Magnum Trout?  Or, were the rights to certain designs bought and a slight name change required as part of the sale? (just a hypothosis)

Thanks gurus,

-Carl

Ken has the vortex tail patent...funniest thing is he put all of the effort into the vortex tail, then the 68 became his greatest seller imo, and it defies all vortex logic by ken's own admission. Lol Southern te interview about vortex is worth a watch....I am not about busting ken good for him protecting his invention.

Edited by bigpoppabass

Ken has the vortex tail patent...funniest thing is he put all of the effort into the vortex tail, then the 68 became his greatest seller imo, and it defies all vortex logic by ken's own admission. Lol Southern te interview about vortex is worth a watch....I am not about busting ken good for him protecting his invention.

This is a likely reason on why a 10" Hudd is being released...?

I believe the originator of this type of tail was Stanley with their Wedge-Tail Minnow. After the lawyers got involved it gets kind of ……………………………………….

post-21326-0-98064600-1455227757_thumb.jpeg

Mags are still being made.

Its not just the tail , Ken has a patent on the foam body as well.

Maybe Ken should get to work and make those 10"er's.

Seriously been over three months since I ordered my 10" hudds.....

Seriously been over three months since I ordered my 10" hudds.....

Is anyone really surprised by this? The ten inch bait didn't even exist when he started taking orders. If you look at the picture he sent out, it's just an eight inch bait that's been enlarged. 

Is anyone really surprised by this? The ten inch bait didn't even exist when he started taking orders. If you look at the picture he sent out, it's just an eight inch bait that's been enlarged.

Like extending out your arms for the fish pic