How heavy of line to avoid being bit off by toothy critters?

dsonnenburg

How heavy of line to avoid being bit off by toothy critters? Where I fish we have big northerns and muskies, I would like to throw my big expensive baits without worrying about being bit off. What pound test line would you recommend to help avoid bite offs by toothy critters? Thanks!

When I'm fishing big pike/musky waters, I use 65-80# braid with 100# fluoro leaders.  Other places where it's a bass dominant lake I'll fish baits directly tied whether its 20-25# Copoly or 65/80 braid.  I fished a 175SS in Canada with the Braid fluoro setup and did well.. The action does get hindered slightly but I'd rather that then $60-$100 baits getting bit off. 

Yeah, that's just the thing. For the most part it's bass so i would like to use as light as possible and not hinder the baits action, but every now and again a big toothy will come along and get ya. just a little nervous throwing some of the more expensive lures out there on the lighter line. Looking for a happy medium is there is one. Not hindering the baits action and not getting bit off. 

Mono or flouro 60lb and up. Don't use braided leaders. Pike and Muskies can slice thru 80lb braid like nothing. I know a few Muskie charters on Lake St. Clair and they run 60lb flouro leaders for trolling and don't get any bite offs. I know guys who cast those baits for them run 100+lb but I feel that's because the baits weight is so heavy you need those to not snap. But I've used 60lb and haven't lost a bait yet