Overview of Resin Baits and their molds

aikenyounggun

Hey guys,

Looking into making baits in the coming year.  I have started some of my research but have been having trouble finding a good overview of resin baits and their molds.

[if their is an overview video that I have missed, I apologize]

First off:  I am looking to make hard swimbaits, probably start off with glides.  I want to make/carve the initial prototype and mold it.  Then pour them.

I have seen guys do that on here (search function). 

So my questions relate to what material is the molding, and how difficult is the process?  If I carve scales into the bait, will they transfer well to the mold? 

I have read about "RTV" for molds... is this some type of silicone and is this a company or general name?

Next, I know the resin is mixed with micro-balloons, which affects density of the material.  But can the resin/micro-balloons be bought from any lure making supplier?  Are there different types of resin?

Finally, how expensive is the resin?  Is pouring multiple 6+ inch baits expensive?  Also, am I thinking pouring this resin will be a lot easier than it actually is?

Thanks for reading, and I apologize for the multitude of questions.  Even if given a good jump off point I would be greatly appreciative.

Tightlines,

Isaac

RTV simply stands for room temperature valcanizing, it is a type of silicone. A well know company for mold making materials would be alumilite or smooth-on. I don't know to much about casting just yet because I'm still working on my molds. If I'm not mistaken, the micro-balloons are used to make the resin float, like you said. As of now I'm a few houndred in the hole with just the mold making materials, not sure if the resin is any cheaper. Would assume it is if you buy in bulk. Hope some of that helps

I don't know how much experience you have but swimbait making in general is expensive. But it's also addicting. I'd recommend starting with a dense wood bait. I started there, messed with resin and went back to wood. Learn what makes a bait swim and what fish like and then try to duplicate it with resin. Tackle underground can answer pretty much any question you have and I recommend you do research on mold making/materials and different resins and additives. Also need to look into humidity and air temperatures. Resin has it's advantages but the guys that do it right do there homework.

You can get microballoons from many online stores that sell the resin. Not very expensive, I think I got 32 oz of them for $6. Mixing it with the resin will result in different sink speeds... 20-30% gives you a pretty fast sink rate, 30-40% gives you a slow sink, and above 50% will give you a floating bait or close too it. Probably worth molding a couple tiny cubes or something with different amounts to get a feel for how the sink rate is affected without wasting a lot of resin, and before you pour your actual baits.