Jerkbaits vs swimbaits

fishaholic211

I went out the other day and threw a SB ALL dayy. I fished Top, Middle, and Bottom with nothing to show for it. My friend was fishing out of the same boat and he caught 5 fish on a jerkbait. I know that I have to pay my dues, but he was catching 4+ pound spots. I would work the area for awhile and get no takers or follows. But, he caught the heck out of them with the jerkbait. Am I doing anything wrong? Are there any swimbaits that work like a jerkbait? Thank you

might not be a real swimbait but the 316 little boogers are great jerkbait baits for me. I let them sink to a little deeper than i want and then when the rod snaps the bait comes to the surface. If your looking for subsurface jerkbait swimbaits try them out. Not sure on hardbaits for jerkbaits...im also interested in finding one

Add weighted dots to a floater until you find a super super slow sink. If thinner profile is what they want try a Spro BBZ Shad in 4" if you want to go small. I bet a 6" FS Shad would get you bit in a slow sink or add just a touch of weight to the middle section of a floater.

Sometimes it more fun to get normal fish, 4lb spots, I wouldve thrown the jerkbait

+1

++1

Sometimes, ok lots of times, the biggest fish in the lake would rather eat the normal gear than a swimbait. At times like those you have to decide what's more fun. Catching big fish or catching nothing on swimbaits. I personally love catching giant fish on regular gear, but it's up to you.

That being said, you may also have just been in the wrong place at the wrong time with the swimbaits, and would have caught a 6lb spot had you been on his fish. If they're aggressive enough to hit a rip bait, there's probably a big fish around that would want to take a crack at a fast moving swimbait. And if they're going to take a crack at something, it's the perfect opportunity to run and gun as much big fish water as humanly possible. Watch a Butch Brown video, then do the exact opposite :-)

Idk call me a idiot if you want...i would like to qoute one of my favoriye movies...Denzel washington said"were professional anglers..we go after the big fish"...

not saying a 4lbs isnt a nice fish..especially out here in co buuut

I look at swimbaiting as trophy hunting some days you have to pay the big bait gods...you may not catch anything..but you still ignored the haters and kept on chuckin!

Jus my opinion

If I were out fishing by myself I would have stuck with a swimbait and looked for a donkey. With someone in the boat with me catching 4+ pounders then I would have switched over. I don't like getting out fished like that.

Man,first of all you beat me to the same dang question. Second of all, I feel like from your story that you were in my boat :)

I have an area in my lake that I like to hit with swimbaits. One day a guy came up to my boat in a pontoon and mentioned that he had marked a large wad of fish suspended on the other side of the lake. I initially thought he is trying to get rid of me by sending me on a wild goose chase so I told him not to trust fish-finders other than for depth and temp.

Anyhow, before I left, I stopped by and saw the same mass he was talking about. Never having thrown a jerkbait in my life, I knew it would be a steep learning curve so I tried to ignore it. By December the lake had gone super clear and cold. OK, jerkbait time it is.

It took a few hours but when I finally got a hang of it, I was nailing a lot of fish in the 4 - 6# range. yeah, yeah, not swimbait fish but fun to catch on a 4 power rod. And it is December!

Anyhow, when I went back last week (1/5) and then again today (1/10), I found those same fish with a ROF5 hudd on the bottom. I lost my fish today but at least that jerkbait helped me narrow down where they were holding. A hudd dragged real slow across the bottom is sometime almost too much for the biggest fish in the school to resist. I did manage a jerkbait fish and when I had it boat-side, it had a whole school of 5 - 6# fish with it. You can get them fired up with the jerkbait and then clean house with the swimbait. That is when I threw the hudd and had a few missed bites (I am bad with hudds).

It felt like a 6 inch freestyle would have done the trick. It stays true to its depth and has a nice presence to it with that tail wagging at slow speeds. All you have to do is refresh the 3:16 homepage when the release happens :)

-Ali