Freestyle slow sink vs. Floater

surferdave

..so i would wait for them to creep up behind the bait once they were about 2' away i would speed it up and they would SMASH it..has anyone else found this to work? Or was it just a fluke in this pond?

"

No fluke, this works for me too. stopping turns fish away. Pray never stands its ground. It runs!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..so i would wait for them to creep up behind the bait once they were about 2' away i would speed it up and they would SMASH it..has anyone else found this to work? Or was it just a fluke in this pond?

"

No fluke, this works for me too. stopping turns fish away. Pray never stands its ground. It runs!

That my friends should be "etch in stone" 8-)

I cant believe i havent read this thread til now......

The only thing i can add which Don touched on is the topwater freestyle in current. Now granted you dont want 2' waves, but a slight breeze making small ripples is good. What i like to do is cast the bait into the wind as far as i can. Ill let the wind/waves do most of the work then. The bait moves in the swimming motion but doesnt cover alot of ground. Its like a lazy trout slowly moving on top. Granted you have to pay attention and keep the line tight enough but not to tight that your taking away the effect the waves are having on the bait. You also can give the bait an agressive tug every once in awhile to make a commotion on top then let the waves take over again and give it that slow lazy swim affect.

On the opposite.....

Ill cast the freestyle with the wind and then begin a deadstick process. This process you literally just let the bait sit out there and the waves push the bait to swim in place. Its kind of like if you have ever seen a trout in a stream swimming in current, its body is swimming, but its going nowhere. Its kind of neat to see the bait just swim in place. Just like swimwing with the current you can add in those tugs just to make commotion.

"

Pray never stands its ground. It runs!

Don- Dying, injured, sick, and exhausted from being chased prey can't run... If given the choice all predators key on the easy. That's natures way.

With a hard bait having so many unrealistic cues, I agree speed can trigger a response that otherwise the fish wouldn't have made. Generally, instead of using speed to disguise my bait, I prefer to use movement. This allows me to keep it in the zone without giving the fish to good of a look at what I'm throwing.

"

Don- Dying, injured, sick, and exhausted from being chased prey can't run... If given the choice all predators key on the easy. That's natures way.

With a hard bait having so many unrealistic cues, I agree speed can trigger a response that otherwise the fish wouldn't have made. Generally, instead of using speed to disguise my bait, I prefer to use movement. This allows me to keep it in the zone without giving the fish to good of a look at what I'm throwing.

Agreed Jam.....i.e. deadsticking

Look thats not what what I mean. he asked about that bite. I never think just this or that is the answer. but some things trigger a strike more times then not. You have had to see my vids going Slow..... please dont make me explain every little thing or feel because I say this or that and thats the only way to do it. Open mind, remember?

"

Don- Dying' date=' injured, sick, and exhausted from being chased prey can't run... If given the choice all predators key on the easy. That's natures way.

With a hard bait having so many unrealistic cues, I agree speed can trigger a response that otherwise the fish wouldn't have made. Generally, instead of using speed to disguise my bait, I prefer to use movement. This allows me to keep it in the zone without giving the fish to good of a look at what I'm throwing.[/quote']

I tend to agree with this.

To use the blanket statement that pray never stands its ground isn't always the case...I know that most baitfish tend to flee when being chased, but there are entire patterns that rely on dead/dying/or unaware prey that involve little to no movement.

Consider a jerkbait - I hate them, but I know there's a lot of people that throw them exclusively because they give off the impression of a dying or injured baitfish. As water temps drop, several baitfish species die off, and slowly pause, suspended for minutes at a time, regardless of being chased or not, because they're dying. They remain motionless and flutter to the bottom as their life cycle ends. Nearly every bite on jerkbaits come on extended pauses. Fish key on them because they're literally "dead" still, and easy prey.

That's not to mention the numerous baits that excel at deadstick techniques. Senkos, Flukes, jigs, and the countless posts on here about folks throwing out big baits and just waiting till they get bit. Not harping on the statement, just wanted to point out there's some value in slowing her down sometimes.

Love the info on this thread. Don - that writeup was great. Awesome amount of detail and insight into your approach. Good stuff from several other folks as well. Makes me want to get on the water!

Hey guys he doesnt mean all fish flee but a un injured fish swimming along once he see a predetory fish hes not going to turn around a look at a bass....just this in this scenerio i was having