"PM offers", what are your thoughts..?

Magic Man CP

come on, this site is meant for fun.  If I can't make a joke about that statement..... 

We are starting to take ourselves way too seriously.  

Clearly he was trying to be funny while making his point....and he succeeded.

And it's not the most adult response.......it may be the most accurate in what he is trying to convey and on point for the topic.....but most adult?

I thought you're post turned out to be the punch line for it.

Edit: added quote

See that, YOU picked the most childish part of his whole response. Clearly we know where your mind goes 

But I digress, Brian's point is mirrored by my feelings on the subject matter. Back to top

I am fairly new here but the other forum I frequent requires prices on the post which I think is a very good rule. I think the PM offers thing allows sellers to privately escalate prices way above what they'll really take and above what the bait is worth without publicly letting people know they're about to rob you if they can. Sorry guys, just post your ridiculous price and then take what you will from the best offer that you get. I think the PM offers also takes the pressure off the seller to come up with a price where they make a little money but is also attractive to buyers which I'm sure is something they cringe at the thought of because they want "x" amount more dollars if they can get it! I know this is your right if you own the bait of course and good on you if you can get what you want. But I guess it's true something is really only worth what someone will pay for it and more often than not it's a lot more than they should ;) I'm addicted to swimbaits so none of this really matters.....I will keep trying to get the baits that I want even if it means paying through the nose..... lol

Also, I'm not trying to lump all sellers here together as I know not everyone is out to rob folks. So please don't think I'm generalizing here. I've bought from a couple of great guys so far and my experience here has been a good one.

Thanks SU.

This thread is kinda of ridiculous. PM offers works for people trying to get top dollar for their baits and also for someone willing to out spend everyone to get what they want. Id rather have them here and know who I was dealing with sort of then have to bid on a bait through Ebay. I hate a lot of things. I hate when dudes wear pink shirts and call in Salmon. I hate when i get an egg shell in my breakfast burrito off the taco truck. I hate when I lose a big fish too.. man that really gets me. But what another person does with their personal property on the internet.. thats their business. They could just only use ebay or not sell the bait at all. Or maybe list it for what they HOPE they can get and then put OBO. thats seems to be acceptable to most people. Everyone lists a used car for a price.. higher than it should be so someone can offer less and feel good. would that make everything better? Seems pretty much the same to me, especially since someone could just offer higher anyways if they really want the bait. 

I am fairly new here but the other forum I frequent requires prices on the post which I think is a very good rule. I think the PM offers thing allows sellers to privately escalate prices way above what they'll really take and above what the bait is worth without publicly letting people know they're about to rob you if they can. Sorry guys, just post your ridiculous price and then take what you will from the best offer that you get. I think the PM offers also takes the pressure off the seller to come up with a price where they make a little money but is also attractive to buyers which I'm sure is something they cringe at the thought of because they want "x" amount more dollars if they can get it! I know this is your right if you own the bait of course and good on you if you can get what you want. But I guess it's true something is really only worth what someone will pay for it and more often than not it's a lot more than they should ;) I'm addicted to swimbaits so none of this really matters.....I will keep trying to get the baits that I want even if it means paying through the nose..... lol

Also, I'm not trying to lump all sellers here together as I know not everyone is out to rob folks. So please don't think I'm generalizing here. I've bought from a couple of great guys so far and my experience here has been a good one.

Thanks SU.

how can you rob someone if they offer to pay a certain amount for a bait. Its THEIR choice and THEIR idea. I don't know how you can volunteer a price you'll pay.. then claim to be robbed. Seems.. not so legit to me

how can you rob someone if they offer to pay a certain amount for a bait. Its THEIR choice and THEIR idea. I don't know how you can volunteer a price you'll pay.. then claim to be robbed. Seems.. not so legit to me

My point is if someone posts a price they want to get for a bait publicly there will be those who pass because the price is absurd and say, "are you serious"?! and there are those who will be fine with it any price because they want it that badly . Doesn't mean the price isn't absurd. This would eliminate a lot of useless back and forth low ball offers that folks complain about. So by me using the word "rob" I'm just saying that most of the time people think they have a goldmine and are darn sure going to try to get a ton more for their item than it's worth. Again, their right and the buyers right to pay whatever they choose.  Just because you get what you want doesn't mean you got a good deal. Again, it's all in what someone will pay for what they want which is fine. I still want what I want and will do what I have to in order to get it but won't go completely overboard either....so people can do what they want, I just prefer to know up front whether it's within my realm of possibility or not....that way no hopes are dashed by some crazy price I can't even touch and I don't have to wait for days to find out. And this has happened.....and it's not fun. I'm just stating my opinion and don't expect everyone to agree. I'm not trying to press any buttons so to speak.

The problem comes in then when a price is high and everyone jumps that persons ish calling him for the price he is asking. We see in on the bst boards right now and that's with a lot of higher end or hard to get baits done by pm or text only.

No one is ever happy on these boards....bottom line is buy it if u want or don't. If you don't like a pm offers then refuse to give an offer.

This thread is kinda of ridiculous. PM offers works for people trying to get top dollar for their baits and also for someone willing to out spend everyone to get what they want. Id rather have them here and know who I was dealing with sort of then have to bid on a bait through Ebay. I hate a lot of things. I hate when dudes wear pink shirts and call in Salmon. I hate when i get an egg shell in my breakfast burrito off the taco truck. I hate when I lose a big fish too.. man that really gets me. But what another person does with their personal property on the internet.. thats their business. They could just only use ebay or not sell the bait at all. Or maybe list it for what they HOPE they can get and then put OBO. thats seems to be acceptable to most people. Everyone lists a used car for a price.. higher than it should be so someone can offer less and feel good. would that make everything better? Seems pretty much the same to me, especially since someone could just offer higher anyways if they really want the bait. 

"This thread is kinda of ridiculous"..? 

Well I appreciate your input either way. I started this thread just to collect ideas from both sides and the middle ground. But same as how the guys on Black Market want to advertise their item, and the buyers don't have to buy it if they don't want to, nobody has to read these threads either, and nobody is forced to reply or not. And again, I'm glad you decided to share 

I haven't got into the selling side of baits, so it's kind of nice to hear what the majority of the members prefer, even though it's my choice on what method to use, I'm the type that's going to consider what I hear the preference is, not just do it my way. After all, the objective is to sell the bait, not just get 90% of the members on here annoyed with the way I choose to do it. And yea, you're never going please everyone. 

So by all means, keep the comments rolling, I appreciate it. Without this "ridiculous thread" we wouldn't be blessed with the image of what "Brian" does with his baits in the privacy of his own home, btw I hope you wash them thoroughly before I buy them from you, lol,, and wouldn't have any clue about "Caezer's" distaste for pink colored Polo shirts (and the fruitcake wearing it claiming it's salmon)... 

But it still seems the majority hate the pm offers method, unless it's reserved more for uncommon baits,, not the everyday no big deal ones that you see mostly on those sales. 

Ok, so I figured I'd share a recent occurrence regarding "pm me offers", hopefully get a lil insight from you guys. YES, I caved in to the listing and decided what the hell, and shoot an offer on a bait, what's the worst that could happen, I get belittled as a "LOW BALLER" by some guy who probably is selling his bait to pay his mom for rent or weed???

I pm'd on a bait that's popular but not rare and unusual, definitely not "unicorn" morsels you guys have mentioned, however the seller may have had no idea it's value, or due to it's rarity not know where to set the price point. After all, isn't that the general concensus as to why guys are listing baits like that, isn't that what 90% of the members on here have been concluding??

So based on my limited bait purchasing experience on here, I sent a pm offering on an amount based on the last three I bought. Right around the $200 mark, give or even take $20 both ways. The retail price of this particular bait is $180.00. But due to limited availability because of production numbers, and largely in part to hoarders buying them up hoping to flip for a $50-$100 profit. Hey, I can't complain about someone's career choice in life, if being a bait flipper is the height of their career success, I'm sure the mom they often live with is proud of them, probably a comfortable income of $800/month or so, almost minimum wage nonetheless. Anyways, my "offer" at $200 was also accompanied by "let's start there" hoping to entice a counter offer in the event my higher than retail offer was initially scoffed at. I also denoted that I'm highly interested in the bait, just not interested enough to pay fleabay money when I'm not actually on fleabay. Adding these lil side notes was directed at any misconception of me possibly "TIRE KICKING". 

Needless to say my offer was not accepted. Nor did I get a reply. Possibly due to seller experiencing high volumes of pm's due to the bait's rarity and popularity, and probably disappeared as fast as that Hinkle trout did last week for $225!!!,, which was hardly a surprise seeing how the trout version often goes for $300-$400 more than that.

After seeing the seller bump the thread to the top, I concluded the bait must still be for sale, so sent another pm asking for a counter offer, and also saying I prefer to avoid sending numerous pm's with incremental offers hoping to hit some magical number. But also not wanting to just throw out another $100 on the table and wondering if dude would've just taken $250ish. Well to make a long story much shorter, I sent a couple more pm's, and posted that I was still interested, also noticing other members posting they've pm'd also. Luckily another member saw all that going on, stepped in with a pm offering me the same bait at a set price of  $300. I replied with a hell yea I'll take it, and my money was in his account quicker than Rod Wynn would believe was possible! 

All in all, I got my bait, I'm happy and so was the seller! And not to my surprise, I woke up and saw the other bait still for sale two days later, but this time an advertised price tag, $40 lower than I paid! Not that that bugs me even the slightest, especially knowing he's still shy of bedroom rent. Who knows, maybe I did something to the guy at some point I was never made aware of, and would hope if so, I was given the opportunity to at least clear up any possible misunderstanding, or bring it out in the open so I don't waste his time nor my own. 

Hope you guys are having better luck than me with the offers thing. 

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30415-lets-get-back-to-the-basics/

At this point it's beating a dead horse. I miss the days of locked threads haha

Frog Man, sorry if you might feel like you were obligated to read and reply, you weren't. Please just skip by next time. Feel free to pm at any time as well. 

"beating a dead horse", just airing out a complaint, just b*tching is all. Hoping that there's a shred of common sense to be derived from a post like this, that the masses of people have made it abundantly clear that when posting items for sale on the Black Market, that they vehemently prefer a simple listed price. I know I'm new here, not trying to change ways, just trying to bring a lil discussion to the table that'll hopefully filter down to make it easier on EVERYONE, not just the guys buying. It's funny how I've never received one single complaint about paying someone what they had item their listed for, or them acting like it was a pain in the @ss listing something they wanted to sell in order to get money for whatever their purpose was, never one complaint about an overall smooth transaction. No unnecessary b.s. pm's to deal with on their end, 0 time wasted on the seller's behalf. But yet the posts that seem to keep getting bumped to top are always items that have an offer system attached, and usually people battling it out not even knowing where things stand. You guys do what or how you want, was only hoping to offer suggestions. One thing is for sure, I contribute a lot of feedback, insight, and $$$ to many happy members here. I'm not just on here to hoard up used baits either, I put my time in on the water wearing out those baits that I bought at a much appreciated price. I also appreciate the tips and information I've taken from the members on here. For the most part, it has seemed like a pretty tight knit group of guys from all over, who bring a lot of different things to the table. I've certainly invested more than my share of time to this thread, haha. 

• 2 weeks later...