Savage Gear Bluegill

danthefisherman

Just ordered two. They look pretty nice from that swim vid. I picked up the 6" line thru version in both gill colors. Also unsure if you'll be able to run a top treble/bb them. Also 4oz seems like a decent weight for a soft bluegill bait, so hopefully it can take a bit of a beating

I found the hooks on the small one rip out pretty easy after one short outing. Going to try mend it to see if

I can get the interior to hold together more. Both swim well for their price.

I found the hooks on the small one rip out pretty easy after one short outing. Going to try mend it to see if

I can get the interior to hold together more. Both swim well for their price.

Although I don't have mine yet (tomorrow), if you are burying the barbed hook point into the bait, chop it off, and bend the point straight down to tuck into the bait. Worked very well in the past for soft baits for me. Just a thought

just got some for my birthday and noticed a few things:

• on one of the baits, the line thru was filled with the plastic that makes up the body, so i had to sit there for about an hour trying to get it out
  • the distance between line thru and the hook slot isn't far enough to allow your knot to sit naturally, so the knot sits kind of funky
  • as far as the swim goes, it's like the 8" trout line thru where you can't really slow roll the bait...you gotta get it going decently to swim, but it does swim well

just got some for my birthday and noticed a few things:

• on one of the baits, the line thru was filled with the plastic that makes up the body, so i had to sit there for about an hour trying to get it out
  • the distance between line thru and the hook slot isn't far enough to allow your knot to sit naturally, so the knot sits kind of funky
  • as far as the swim goes, it's like the 8" trout line thru where you can't really slow roll the bait...you gotta get it going decently to swim, but it does swim well

Damn I order 2 and was hoping this wouldn't be the case. I guess I'm going to have to find a way to make a bill for it.

Use just a little bit of a jerky motion on a slow retrieve and it will dart around. I do a tiny pause every half turn or 3/4 turn. If you don't, it wants to settle into a retrieve with no swimming motion at all.

Use just a little bit of a jerky motion on a slow retrieve and it will dart around. I do a tiny pause every half turn or 3/4 turn. If you don't, it wants to settle into a retrieve with no swimming motion at all.

I was testing it in my backyard fish pond and I also found that during the retrieve, you stop reeling, let it sink a bit and pop it, it'll turn 180 pretty easily.