LDC Production H

missinfish

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be placing an order for an XH and XXH Custom very soon. Ben has been one cool dude to talk to.

Thinking about picking up a production H once they are more readily available.

thats the real problem right there. once you talk to ben you realize you need everything he makes haha. and then you get one in the mail and then you really really need everything he makes. cant wait to check out the productions.

LDC Production/Standard Issue Heavy Review: THIS....IS THE ONE....

I knew from the moment Ben handed me the LDC production heavy loaner and had me hold the rod while he put a bend in it-that I wanted it. Let me digress a little. Probably 80 percent of my swimbait and all my personal best fish were landed on one rod over the past 20 years. (Damn I'm gettin' old!) That rod was the G. Loomis BBR 965C and I still hold the taper and action on that rod in very high regard. For those of you who are familiar with this style of rod, they have a fairly forgiving softer action when compared to something like Bens custom blanks which shut off quicker. So let me be careful when I describe the tapers as they are the key difference in the two rod lines. The customs would best be referred to as moderate fast and shut off or flex most in the first 25-30 percent of the rod. The production or standard issue line is a moderate taper and bends well into the mid-point of the rod when under load. Besides Bens superior craftsmanship, the high quality blanks, and top notch looks the functional things I love about Bens rods that you can't find in a factory rod is the longer handle and the spiral wrap. Before I knew about the productions I was in my garage staring at my Loomis 965 thinking how I wish it had those features. A few days later I learned about the production/standard issue rods and to say I was interested would be an understatement. My preference for this type of rod again, comes from my instinctual connection to the Loomis rod after hundreds of fish on it.

The production heavy is rated at 3-7 oz and thats entirely accurate in my experience with it. Although, you can drop down to 2 oz with no problem with some practice and an educated thumb. I can honestly say I haven't had a rod comfortably handle everything from a 7" slammer (approx. 2oz) up to the Deps Slideswimmer 250 (nearly 7 oz). The slower taper of the rod can be seen when casting as it loads further down the blank. Some guys might mistake that for the rod being overloaded but when you release the bait you can feel the transfer of energy and sense that there's plenty of back bone there. The proof if is in the distance and its very impressive once you get a feel for it. Unless you are throwing the biggest, heaviest lures around like a Rago Tool, RM Mother, or 10" Freestyle the rod is as close as you can get to just needing one rod. I primarily shore fish so I find this extremely appealing.

A few words about the moderate taper. I can't explain in technical terms whats happening but I feel like the slower reaction of this rod actually prevents me from pulling baits away from fish that hit hard baits or any bait with a hanging treble hook. The actual strike from a fish happens so fast that with these rods all that registers is thump and the rods already loaded up when I sweep into em' and the slower taper helps me keep steady pressure on them. Enough theory.

I was so impressed with the rod that I wanted to write this review after the first week. I felt that would be unfair to the rod and unfair to Ben. Now after about 5 weeks or so I've had the chance to handle some fish with it. I caught 5 fish so far between 4 and 11.5 lbs and all were Hudd fish rigged with a hanging treble. First off, let me say with absolute clarity that paired with the Calcutta 400TE (25lb big game) I felt in absolute control at all times. There were times with my Loomis 965 that I would begin feeling fatigued even with a 5 or 6lb fish and I never understood why. Part of the issue was the handle length which forces you to balance the rod in your hand without the benefit of tucking the rod tip under your arm. The other issue is I can recall feeling the rod torquing in my hand as fish would surge. I can honestly say that I'm a believer now in the combo of the long handle and spiral wrap. I literally can just enjoy the fight and not be overly concerned with anything else. Thats a big edge on the water as well as confidence booster. Nothing sucks worse than spending hours, days, and weeks to get that bite and then you lose the fish?!?!? Its almost worse than not getting bit. Almost.

Let me revisit something I mentioned above. Most guys associate fishing Hudds with moderate fast taper rods like a Loomis 957 or LDC XH Custom sticks. The logic is the faster taper of these rods transmits power quicker to allow a better hookset on softbaits like Hudds. Under normal circumstances thats probably absolutely correct. What got my attention was watching Mike Peters from STEaters and he's going with all 'moderate'/parabolic action rods. Notice as well how he is rigging that hudd. Bottom hooks-therefore the dynamic of the bite is much more like a hardbait. Thats how I rig and fish my Hudds so truly the rod again is a homerun for me.

In closing, I've recently made some adjustments in my fishing and this rod has been absolutely an integral part of that approach. Its already instinctual and I just feel connected to it and most importantly I trust it. If you prefer a fast taper quick reacting rod then you'll probably be better served with one of Bens custom blanks. If your like me and cut your teeth on rods like the Loomis BBR line then the standard issue/production rod is the one for you. It takes a lot to impress me and Ben has honestly delivered on that front. I used to laugh at guys talking about rods with Mojo but I'm reconsidering that position as I was fortunate to get two DD's in a weeks span using this rod. Thats all the proof I need and gives me supreme confidence in this rod. I can't wait to tackle some big striped bass to really lay some stress on this rod and I'm confident it will handle it like a pro. The awesome thing is to know that there's a face behind the rod. I find value knowing I can pick up the phone and let Ben know how impressed I am with the rod and he's always helpful and willing to talk fishing. You can tell when people have genuine passion for what they are doing and that goes a long way with me.

So now think back to Southern Trout Eaters for a brief second when Matt Peters was holding up the ROF12 Hudd and in a religious hushed tone says, "This.....is the one..." Thats exactly sums up my relationship with this rod-LDC production heavy. Now, please get some damn hats made Ben!!!

PS. You'll notice the purple wraps...those do not come standard with the production rods. Ben did it for a little extra cheese as a one time deal so please don't hit him with a ton of questions about that...hahahha...you guys like black better anyway right. Stealth.

post-283-14252985905817_thumb.jpg

post-283-14252985906165_thumb.jpg

thats the real problem right there. once you talk to ben you realize you need everything he makes haha. and then you get one in the mail and then you really really need everything he makes. cant wait to check out the productions.

Nah. Ben has never tried to sell me anything. Actually I'm the one that bugs him non stop. lol

He's one straight up dude, "will my rods help you catch more fish? probably not"

I already have a production MH that's awesome! He will have me as a repeat customer for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...