Calling out the swimshot pros!

Sasqwatch01

can i ask you what you are trying to achieve with this rig with this particular bait? (if your trying to get it to run in deep water there are much better ways . if so jst add a drop shot weight to the line tie under mouth or lead tape

@jermey trying to get the gantarel to run just a above the bottom without sinking to the floor on a pause if i rigged it with a weight on the second line tie, @big slant, i read that article pretty good an followed everything, as far as i know but it could be wrong lol how come you dont use crimps?

And do yall think direct palomar tie from 80lb braid would be okay to that floro?

ah ok i see , well for braid (thats pretty much all i use ) you can tie a rp knot from braid to the floro there is not a better knot im 100% sure of that or the San Diego jam . you definitely do not want to tie a polymer knot braid will slip at some point , if you tie what i call a modified palomar knot (its not a double palomar ) you go through the eye 2 times before you start your knot this will help prevent slips .

The rp knot is very common knot for yellow fin tuna theres nothing in fresh water that will snap it.

the key to this knot is making sure you snap the line tight (not pull) when you're ready to cinch the knot down (its by far the smallest knot for big leader lines)

Edited by JeremyW

Thanks jeremy! Ill try the rp knot out, i was a lil skeptical about doing the palomar as well for that same reason but figured maybe with it being thicker braid i would be ok, but will for sure try the other out. Have you had any success with a swimshot rig?

yes i have with a paddle taills type swim bait I fish it more like a Carolina rig , ive not done it with hard baits . Palomar knot is a great knot to me it's more about what you have confidence in , I have extreme confidence in the knots I suggested . you may also want to consider a donkey rig ive have had a ton of success with this when when the bite is tuff

this is just my opinion and what works for me hopefully it helps and good luck

Edited by JeremyW

this is an example of a donkey rig that I use with huds , the first bait is a rof 5 the 2nd bait is a rof0 that i turn in to a rof 2 ish so it rides a little higher then front baitpost-23512-0-15339400-1458968317_thumb.jpeg

cant get the video to work

Edited by JeremyW

Hi Fabian, I was just about to suggest the Donkey/Double Fluke rig but Jeremy beat me to it. If you have the dropshot weight on the loose/first  swivel you'll get less tangles than using Eric Aske's Swimshot rig.

The Gantarel is a good choice but use the lower line tie as it will allow the bait to sit more horizontally when paused. If you are going to try other buoyant baits test out how they lie at rest. Some baits will float up too much and lie nose pointing down which isn't very natural.

@Jeremy, tying a weigh to the Gantarel's lower line is a great idea by Jackal. It does affect the action a bit but the biggest problem is that the bait then hits the bottom with the trebles. If you put it on a small length of line I found the line gets caught on the hooks often.

You could of course just get a TWERK :)  Hooks on top so no snagging on structure or weeds, perfectly balanced to sit horizontally at rest and you can use the donkey rig to keep it just off the bottom or just a simple caroliner rig to let it Bottom Bounce.

What is a twerk?

Can't believe you have never heard of THE TWERK!!!!!  Just joking. It's a home made bait I posted in Grass Roots a few days ago. Coincidentally it is actually designed to be fished on the Double Fluke or Caroliner rigs.

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30681-the-twerk-a-bottom-bouncing-swimbait/&do=findComment&comment=252293

The reason Eric rigged that bait the way he did was to prevent toothy fish biting the line off...I used straight 15# flouro...tie a Palomar exactly like a drop shot with no hook then tie a leader on your bait...then another Palomar thru the line loop...it's fast...no permanent hardware and can be cut off and re tied in minutes...I don't have to contend with toothy fish and I use the floating u2...I haven't had success with it yet drop shot is still painfully boring and a last resort

Eric's rig has been updated by him: http://No-outside-links.com/ He has eliminated one or more of the crimps. The idea behind this rig is not to dropshot the rig it is more of a 3 way swivel rig or a bubba rig that is refined. I have not watched Eric's new video but has fished this rig for hour after hour with Eric. One of the main reasons Eric made this rig is because when you are casting a 3 way swivel rig (Wolf River Rig) all components become tangled on long cast and basically make the cast worthless. The Swimshot rig allows for tangles and the bait to work just fine. Another thing to consider is, this is not dropshoting it is more of a Carolina Rig for big baits. The Swimshot rig can be fished fast or slow or even to the point the bait is just soaking in the fish's face. Two important fractures are, does the floating bait you choose sit horizontal when sitting at rest and does the bait displace plenty of water. Many times the bite will acquire when the bait is sitting, then lift the tip of the rod about 3 feet and let the weight pull the bait to the bottom, this is when you want a bait the swims by the pull of the weight and thumps on the fall. Many other reasons I fish the Swimshot over a Wolf River Rig or a Bubba rig, but these are just a couple.

Fishing this rig for a few years and using the crimps and fluorocarbon leaders, I still use crimps and not sold on using knots instead of crimps. I have never had crimps fail but have over the years seen many anglers knots fail. However, crimps are just like knots, if a crimp is done wrong it can fail just like a knot.