Best baits to build confidence

sbr12x

New to the forum and new to throwing bigger baits. Only have some hudd 68s and 5 and 6 inch Bull Shads. I know this isn't big for most you guys. What are some others to look into? I'm finding baits on here that I've never heard of. Just need a little help on what to add to my small collection next. Thanks!

some sort of glide baits like a deps 175, Gan Craft jointed claw. Wake bait like an M.S. Slammer 3:16 baby wake (if you can find one). and some plastics like rising sons or mission fish. Ive also become very fond of real prey baits recently as well

316 rising son

+1, but I'd recommend the weedless version specifically. It's a bona fide fish catcher, and it can be thrown into virtually any type of cover situation. The bait also has a lot of versatility as far as where you're fishing it in the water column. I prefer it on the weightless 10/0 owner beast hook (the hook that 3:16 recommends), but you can also throw it on the 1/2 oz weighted version of that hook. One of the members on here (his name is eluding me at the moment) also suggested filing down the weight on the weighted versions in order to dial in the keel weight to exactly where you want it to be, which is another interesting option for the bait. I've been fishing them non stop for the past month, and I just can't put them down. The durability is really impressive on them as well. I have one particular bait in the green trout pattern that has caught at least 15-20 fish so far (at least 2/3 of those fish have been pickerel or pike too), and it's still kicking and catching fish.

Spawning season will be coming to Ohio soon. A slow sink Hardgill is hard to beat when those pre-spawn bass start to roam the shallows to stake out their turf. Sometimes they want to eat those gills and other times they just want to kill them. That's the bait that really got me started.

Thanks for the info guys....I really appreciate it.  I've caught some fish on my bull shads, just nothing over 3.5 yet.  They are a lot of fun to throw and work different retrieves.  

Mattlure Hardgill is hard to beat in those bluegill infested waters. I've had a lot of luck on 7" glide baits like the Deps 175 and Gan Craft 178 for both numbers and quality. You will get a lot of followers on the glide baits, which is frustrating at times, but is also great for locating big fish.