Tactical angler clips v. Owners cross lock

BigSlant

Been using the decoy egg snaps for years never failed me. The Berkley Snaps I had open once on me after a minor snag and a 10" triple trout slow sink was lost right near the boat as I was about to lift it out of the water  :? Most dumbest bait loss I've ever seen. LOL, That was a very long time ago much before the decoy snaps even existed. 

I ran out of snaps unexpectedly and ran into a local shop to get some, all they had was Berkley.  I guess those will be staying in the package now!

I tried them and had the bait and clip slip out on a fish. Not sure how it happened.

I use Decoy egg snaps #4 and #5.

I just came back from a Pike fishing trip and a not so big Pike straighened out a Decoy #4 snap.

I just came back from a Pike fishing trip and a not so big Pike straighened out a Decoy #4 snap.

Well that sucks to hear...I have never had an issue with my Decoy but the biggest bass I have caught on them was only 9#...

• 1 month later...

Little late to the discussion, still prowling through topics, but for what it's worth I've been using the TA clips exclusively for the last several years with zero failure. 50, 125, 175 lb cover every bait I currently have.

I've been through so many different clips over the years I don't recall. These are tough. Attachment requires more force than one might think to slide the tie. Ultra quick switch, weedless, reliable. I'm not 100%, but I believe they were developed for sw trolling.

A recessed line tie may not accept it, same for any clip, but I've solved that problem by not using a lure that won't accept it. Pretty simple. It's not the only comparable clip available, but I trust it implicitly. Hope I was able to help. Peace.

• 7 months later...

What size fish are people catching on these snaps?

I am not concerned about a 7 or 8 bending my snap out.  I won't be thrilled if I lose one but I've caught plenty of fish in that range.  What I want to be prepared for is a teener.  That is the one I am afraid of failure on.  

Is anyone catching big stripers or salt water fish on these snaps?

What size fish are people catching on these snaps?

I am not concerned about a 7 or 8 bending my snap out.  I won't be thrilled if I lose one but I've caught plenty of fish in that range.  What I want to be prepared for is a teener.  That is the one I am afraid of failure on.  

Is anyone catching big stripers or salt water fish on these snaps?

I use them in the surf for striper and pull in teeners fighting the fish through waves and have never had a problem. A buddy of mine has a few 25+ pound striper on TA clips and never had one fail. I use them for my swimbaits.

?? Get smaller snaps?

Haha true! I guess snaps have made me lazy and I want to use the same size for everything now.

Edit: But still, the bend in the snap's arms seem to not fit through certain size line ties. In this case I just attach a split ring to the line tie and then thread the snap through the ring. Not pretty...but it works.

Edited by danthefisherman