Bass in the mist

Craig

After access to a prime venue was cancelled due to some idiot poaching I put my wife to work organising access to another good venue. Boy did she deliver?!

We arrived just before first light. It was cold (at 4’C - under 40’Ferenheit) and misty while we set up the kickboats in the dark. After manhandling the boats over a tricky 2m stretch of floating grass we were on the water.

First cast with my new prototype iRISH WAKE bait produced 2 swirls and a few casts later a feisty largie came to the net. It was going to be a good day.

The river was lined with a floating vegetation so I switched to the Undertaker quite soon. I was rewarded with a big hit but she came unbuttoned.

I changed baits a bit and picked up a fish on a plastic swimbait and weightless fluke, following up another swirl at the iRISH WAKE.

Mist was still thick and it seemed to be getting colder so I changed  the UNDERTAKERS for a lighter model which did the trick. Working it parallel and a bit under the cover I saw a flash as a decent largie came out and committed.

After a quick fight, that my new Dobyns (thanks Anthony) and Calcutta (great traded, thanks Angle) handled with ease, I netted and weighed a great 6.22lb largie. Who can get tired of the elation as you see that big head breach the water for the first time and pleasure of seeing her swim off when you gently release her?

I continued to work the UNDERTAKER parallel and under the cover all day and it continued to produce. Nothing bigger than the 6.22 but probably managed a 5 fish bag of at least 23lb. Fishing so close and slow I saw nearly all the fish take. Missed a few but had an absolute blast.

Couple of pics attached and uploading a video that I’ll stick in SUTV

post-24776-0-64400100-1464546430_thumb.jpgpost-24776-0-48979300-1464546517_thumb.jpgpost-24776-0-13965500-1464546942_thumb.jpgpost-24776-0-50091100-1464547029_thumb.jpgpost-24776-0-35007300-1464547113_thumb.jpgpost-24776-0-02563000-1464547176_thumb.jpg