Swimbaits for smallmouth?

Luke V.

I think the MN record will go down soon. One issue we have here is a closed season. So from the 2nd weekend in Sept to the end of Feb it is catch and release only. Then it is closed until almost the 1st week of June. So we miss the prespawn for the most part. Still you hear of 1-3 over 7 being caught each year. If we get a late year where the season opens while those giants are still prespawn.... it's going down.

Boundary waters canoe area. Northeast Mn.

Big million or so acres area full of lakes you have to canoe/pack into. Lake trout,bass,pike and walleyes. All that water that doesn't get fished hard especially for big fish there almost has to be a mn record smallie there.

The bwca has some big cisco based lakes that probably have one swimming in it.

What's bwca?

Boundary Water Canoe Area.... awesome fishing. Nation wildlife area where No motorized vehicles are allow. So you have to hike/paddle back to lakes and camp. Really good time up there.

Big million or so acres area full of lakes you have to canoe/pack into. Lake trout,bass,pike and walleyes. All that water that doesn't get fished hard especially for big fish there almost has to be a mn record smallie there.

Wouldn't be surprised if one was in there. Just have to get to them and backpack all your swimbait stuff in with you.... now that's a thought... have Ben make a two piece swimbait rod for backpacking.

Wow, I need to put a kayaking/camping trip up there on the list of things to do.

Wouldn't be surprised if one was in there. Just have to get to them and backpack all your swimbait stuff in with you.... now that's a thought... have Ben make a two piece swimbait rod for backpacking.

Rods get strapped in the canoe my loomis 956 wasn't a problem. Biggest problem would be getting a big fish out if you were 3 days in and it was warm. Basswood is a good lake up there were you can use small motors.

Rods get strapped in the canoe my loomis 956 wasn't a problem. Biggest problem would be getting a big fish out if you were 3 days in and it was warm. Basswood is a good lake up there were you can use small motors.

Hmm... I have tried them in the canoe but they have slid around and broken eyes and tips when portaging. Guess I just need to find a better way to strap them in so they don't move at all.

Not to jump around here; but to add to what was said previously. Those smallies will hit 7" baits with a smile. I can't speak for california waters with smallies; but Table Rock and Bull Shoals hold nice populations, and I've caught quite a few on 7" single joint swimbaits. ;)