Swimbaits in Ponds?

jhillman88

Hey I'm sort of new to  swimbaits. I started last fall and than spring came around and I stopped throwing them. I am getting back into them. I just turned 15 and have some birthday money to spend. I fish mainly ponds nothing with like chocalte millk color water but some have only 1-3 feet of visibilty while others have 10-15. There are shad and bluegill in the ponds. What are some good baits to use in ponds with low visibility water. Thanks.

Bbz has a rattle. Deps 250 is big. Hudd68 has thump good water displacement. Just gotta get out there and try different things. It's all about confidence while your fishing. Every turn of the reel picture a huge bass following your bait. Time on the water. Good pics guys good luck out there

I fish lots of really small ponds, while some will hold a few larger fish, you may have to spend some time to catch them. Fish baits on the smaller end of the swimbait spectrum, 6-7" max. Not that bigger won't get bit, just not nearly as often. More bites will increase your confidence. 6" weed less hudd 68's, Mattlures hard gills, a small to medium sized rat bait: Rago rat, Matt rat, medium Nezumma, or a mini slammer (prob the most cost effective), 7" ms slammers, G2 shellcracker. Really, most baits of these types will all work under different times.

If on a budget and forced to limit to a few lesser expensive lures my picks would be: G2 shellcracker; 6" weedless Hudd 68, 7" ms slammer, Rago generic rat. I could fish and catch in any of the ponds I fish with these. Good luck!

Cant really add to much that been said but cant go wrong with a bbz rat or a slammer matts hardgill i do alot of pond hopping and you will be surpise on how many big fish could be there. I have thought ive caught the biggest bass in the pond only to see a bigger one on the next outing

Great advise here.  I fish mostly ponds and small walk around lakes as well.  The Shell Cracker G2 and Jackal Mikey have been my go to baits and produce the most bites for me.  Both are also pretty reasonably priced ( around the $40 mark).  The hudd 68 is a bait i plan on throwing more soon and I picked up a DEPS 175 as well.  I plan on adding a Slammer to my bag here shortly also.

I would maximize your money and get some soft swimbaits. 3:16 Rising Son, Minnow, Little Boogers have produced really well for me in Ponds.

+1 for that. Pond bass love the thump of the plastic

Last September i was fortunate enough to buy a home with my wife in a great subdivision and lucky for me I have a 6-7 acre pond right out my front door across the street.  I typically do most of my fishing in Wisconsin on my boat but having young kids and family stuff, the pond satisfies my needs when I can't go up there. With that said, like many ponds, mine is very murky so I have just been doing a lot of trial and error.  I've had success from conventional lures to 7-9" swimbaits.  If I'm going for numbers with swimbaits I down size and stay in the 4.5-6" lures (Hardgills, GC178, Gulping gill, Baby Wake, and hollowbody types).  When i throw the bigger lures, I'm typically getting one, maybe 2 fish in a session.

Lately I've really been trying to find some of the bigger bass in here and still am picking up the 2-3+ lb males, BUT it is helping me learn all these swimbaits and what excels in certain situations. I'm confident that big bite will come and I know there are a few big girls swimming.  Unfortunately in Spring I found one bass that was 5+ dead, looked to be killed intentionally as well. Here in IL, 2.5-3 lb fish are common. 4-5lb is a good fish and anything above that is great for bass.  

I've posted some of my recent catches in Got Em that are nothing impressive really but more to show success that fishing big baits can and do work even in very small bodies of water.  I think I also have a pretty good success rate because the other locals that fish this place are using live bait or your typical spinner/cranks etc.  Put something out there that is different from their daily/weekly presentations and curiosity is going to get the best of them.

Every time I'm out I'm gaining more and more confidence and doing it in walking distance from my living room.  So start chuckin', you'll find your success too.  Like some have said to me, any fish is better than no fish and I couldn't agree more.

Edited by MarkH024

Hi Jack, like most of the guy's mentioned, trial & time on the water will gain you ton's of experience. To me, color of lure does not matter that much if the water is crystal clear, or, dark as coffee. The only change I see with the forage fish is that the coloration becomes distinctly defined in clear water, while, in muddy water the coloration changes to a more blended silverish color as a "camoflage" defense / feeding mechinism. Sound is a triggering factor for some lures, which some bass get drawn to, (or are wise enough to recognize as unnatural and avoid). If you think about it, the bass will seek out and eat in muddy water, by what others have mentioned as "Water Displacement" of the lure size & swimming motion. Also, some of my best Muddy Water fishing has come in the Nighttime...give it a try & good luck.