Broken Wake Jr

IsaacM619

Went out on a night session last night and was throwing my ONLY Wake Jr. Made a long cast into open water, when I started my retrieve I knew that bait wasn't working right so I reeled in and checked for weeds. None. Then checked the line tie and it was fine, but then noticed my lip was broken. Swear I only cast into open water. What could have caused this and how can I fix it?

post-24557-0-59720300-1468947346_thumb.jpeg

post-24557-0-60124800-1468947358_thumb.jpeg

Edited by IsaacM619

Hmm... Clearly that lip was compromised. I had a similar occurrence once myself, but in my case I knew the lip wouldn't last much longer. Had a visible stress fracture. You can 'fix' it by grinding flush with a Dremel and see if the lure still offers usage. It won't wake, but it might walk, so check first before moving on. Otherwise, continue grinding and open the mount cavity. From there, it's a matter of epoxy and metal or glue and wood. Personally, I'd go the wood route. If you go so far, please share a photo and good luck.

Step one - remove broken bill with plyers.

Step two - cut new bill out of 1/8" acrylic

Step three - glue in new bill with plastic cement

I've done this multiple times. Takes only a few minutes as long as you have the tools, and you can modify the bill for different action.

Step one - remove broken bill with plyers.

Step two - cut new bill out of 1/8" acrylic

Step three - glue in new bill with plastic cement

I've done this multiple times. Takes only a few minutes as long as you have the tools, and you can modify the bill for different action.

Triv has the process correct but I would suggest one change.  Step 2 should be to use polycarbonate (not acrylic).  Pretty common for people to confuse acrylic with polycarbonate.  Polycarbonate is really tough; it is used as bulletproof glass.  You can find sheets at Home Depot and similar places.  The most common trade name is Lexan.

Acrylic has nowhere near the impact resistance.  It won't stand up heavy fishing.  Plexiglass is the most common acrylic trade name.  Again, I would not recommend acrylic for bills.  

You can also buy pre-cut polycarbonate bills from places like lurepartsonline.  

I actually prefer the acrylic over the polycarbonate.  Polycarbonate is a soft material, hence it having better energy absorbing properties for ballistic materials, race car windshields, etc., but it also scratches much easier and is harder to fabricate.  Regardless, either will do the job.