rotating Hook Hangers?

Moleman

Ive fished the same bait side by side, swivel hangers and not, same exact landing ratio for bass, stripers twist alot abd have noticed they help with that. But for 2 years i fisbed same bait side by side and had the exact same landing ratio. To each their own i guess.

Definitely think hey help, I've kept most of my gantarel fish pinned because of them and other fish on non rotating baits come off way more, you can somewhat combat it by adding splitrings but that isn't as good but is a good alternative

Double your split rings. This helps with two things. It moves the hook points away from the bait giving you more drop and it also allows fish to stay pegged better. I've recommended this to some of the best guys I've worked with and it's undoubtedly helped them land some of their biggest fish to date. 

I target large strippers in the fall and late winter so I fish with a swivel on the line tie. That helps more than the hook hanger. If you have both hooks on the fish, those rotating hook hangers aren't functional anymore.

I know a lot of the guys in Japan run cord/wire wrapped on the hook shank instead of split rings, especially on the RM's. I have been meaning to have a fly tying buddy make me a few. 

I'm curious about what you mean by this.  Is it the type of hook, usually called an "assist hook" as the picture below?  Or a treble with a similar cord?  Thanks in advance.

post-21326-0-26526000-1469643755_thumb.jpeg

I'm curious about what you mean by this.  Is it the type of hook, usually called an "assist hook" as the picture below?  Or a treble with a similar cord?  Thanks in advance.

Hi Wayne

I have seen both on Japan owned baits.  I happen to like the concept of both too.

:)

Hi Wayne

I have seen both on Japan owned baits.  I happen to like the concept of both too.

:)

Here's a Heddon bait from the 1930's that has the hooks attached via a cord tied to a from hanger.  There are clips that hold the hooks in place until the fish is hooked.  There were a couple of big Heddon plugs with this setup designed for Pacific salmon which are well known jumpers.  Plenty of other west coast salmon plugs use a similar hooking system with cord rather than split rings.  Any of you west coast guys have experience with these?

post-21326-0-58440300-1469758314_thumb.jpeg