Soft bait followers.

Willluvstafish

Never had any luck with soft swimbaits until I recently got a few Burritos. Now I'm hooked! Today I caught some chunks on them but I had many followers come right up to the boat and bait as soon as they seen me. What do you guys do if you have followers, do you kill it or speed it up? Any advice is appreciated!

If I know fish are feeding, I fish my Hudd up top (within a foot of the surface). This allows me to see the fish following from a good distance away. I like to speed up if I know there's a fish behind - sometimes even have the Hudd break water like a trout chasing something. This typically gets the fish a little more aggressive, then when it gets close to me I let the bait rest and as soon as the Hudd touches the bottom, the fish will crush it (it's only about a foot or two deep in front of me so I can see the fish nose down on the bait as it's sinking). Not sure if this applies to you much cuz I'm basically always on the bank.

In general though, I've typically read/heard to either twitch the bait or speed up rather than stop the bait.

Not much imo, nature of the game.  RPJs alewives have frustratingly drawn several giant sm under a smaller sm to the boat, but that has to do with conditions imo, usually calm ones....Keitech grubs are only soft plastics I have been able to get a boatside follow to strike but all I am doing is opening bail and letting it sink to the bottom where it is picked up.   

Do your best to pull the bait away from the fish without actually pulling the bait away from the fish.  if that makes sense.  after a while and enough follows  you can judge fish that will commit and fish that will not. a lazy follow 6+ feet away that dose not react to twitches, pauses or bait speed, is not likely to hit your bait.  A fish that is lazy following few feet back but is interested in twitches and pauses. is the perfect fish for the pull away tease. A fish that is hot and sharking the bait and tracking every movement of the bait you probably won't be able to pull the bait away from the fish.  Bass are curious, not always feeding and will often follow without the intent of striking. sometimes a fish will follow one retrieve angle where it might have bit a different angle. Most of the time there isn't much you can do to get a lazy follower to commit. make note of where the follow came from and check back later, try and picture where the fish is positioned and line your cast up bring your bait into a pinch point where the fish has your bait trapped. Follows are part of swimbait fishing learn from every follow. 

Honestly in my opinion. If you can see them from a ways off and they aren't charging hard to eat it I think the best thing is to try and get it away from them. You don't want them to see you EVER. Makes them way harder to catch. It might also fire them up a little and you might get them because they think they lost an oppurtunity. Just my thoughts. I hate seeing them come to the boat.

• 2 weeks later...