Big Bait Throwing

M4TT

Hey guys, 

just got home after spending about 7 hours on the water where i got no bites. I know that's part of swimbait fishing but i feel like tossing these monster baits could be done in a way that isn't as explosive where it's not scaring the fish or letting them know we're coming.. 

How do you guys throw your big baits if you're trying to hit points, walls, open water, etc.? is the cannonball effect just part of the deal? 

For reference, baits thrown today were 250s, mags & hudds. 

I try to throw past my intended target as to not land baits right on top of fish and spook them. I've also had fish smash a bait on the drop so it might not even make a difference. Also thumbing the spool a little different as to minimize the impact of a bait. Also helps with hooks getting fouled on the line.

70% of the time, I like the big splash. It's like a dinner bell for aggressive fish. If I think the fish are being skittish, I cast much farther than the point I'm trying to fish. In this situation, usually 25-30% of the cast is beyond the spot where I expect to find a fish.

Turn off electronics and trolling motor and wait 5-10 min before you start casting so any fish u might have spooked when pulling up can have a chance to set back up has worked plenty of times for me longer the wait sometimes the better patience is key when hunting them like this but seems like u get a better shot at em doing this rather then beating banks

Fish jump all day..when shad are breaking water for bugs or whatever shad eat..seems like the big bass come to the ruckus..I think they are curious by nature..if a splash spooks then initially I believe they are coming right back

The splash might spook the fish if the swimbait falls near the fish. If there's no fish near, the splash many times calls fish from far away. They are curious and "view" the splash as a possible prey, or an intruder to their territory. Sometimes they will hit a bait that falls right on top of them out of reaction (or opportunity). I had a huge blast this year on a 7" Slammer as soon as it hit the water near a tree. Sadly I lost that fish, but it was big (don't know if it would be my new PB...).  I think most times, if you're fishing a target that's shallow you'll want to cast way past the target or try not to make a big splash. Shallow big bass are usually more wary and spook more easily. If you're fishing a deep target or just covering water just cast it normally and let the bait go down to where you want it.

Edited by mcaetano2905

I thumb the spool slightly right before it hits the water causing the bait (hudd) to land with a slap instead of a cannon ball. You don't lose any distance on the cast since it's at the end of it and it sounds (at least to me) like a fish breaching the surface and slapping down on it's side. Also what was already said.....cast past your target.

Edited by ATFISHING1234