Big fish in your Area

R8R

Lots of members here from across the country, I wonder how many opportunities to you get on actually have a chance on catching a fish of a lifetime in your area. Where I'm at, I had my second chance at truly big fish, the kind that makes your knees wobble. Just wondering how offen people really get for a chance of a giant fish. These fish don't really show themselves that much on my expierience. If your in Cali I'm talking about teeners, if your in the east coast talking about 9 lbs and above, I know there are a lot of places that 9lbs and above are like finding a unicorn, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think Indiana is very underrated. I've looked at topo maps and the quite a few of our lakes have decent visibility and plenty of structure, drop-offs, and the only pressure is from a few conventional fisherman. Gizzard shad and bluegill populations are abundant, and we have the Florida strain. Our state record is 14 lb 12 oz caught 35 years ago, in lake Harrison lol. It's only 2 pounds shy of the Florida state record. I still believe there is so much potential for DD fish and even teeners based on the lack of pressure and ideal conditions. Next year I will be able to fish big lakes from a boat rather than bank beating local ponds, so I believe my chances of the fish of a lifetime will increase.

For me there is one pond I fish that has a 8 to 9 pounder in it. Which is huge for my state first saw it back in spring blow up on my rat but didn't get a hook in it . two months go by saw her cruzing up and down the back couldn't get her to bite. Went the rest of the time sorting thru 2 and 5 pounders than early fall came made the right cast in the tree infested area two crank in she crush my real prey mega shad. She was putting up a fight the was a tree that I know was there thought I could pull her up and over it bad move I just installed a trap hook on it and it coaght the branch. She was peg to it for a good min before she became unbuttoned then spent the next 20 mins trying to get my lure back. It hurt all those fishless hours chasing the dream and I mess up should of went left but swung right. The good new tho is they connected all 3 big ponds now and stock trout in them on the reg now.

Well R8R..we fish the similar waters..the delta has produced numerous teeners as you know but recently these small trout stocked reservoirs have been putting out teeners every few months..the recent 19# in chabot..there was a 13# in Antioch a few weeks back caught and released and the record on all these reservoirs is over 15#..I've def seen a few in the DD size but they are tricky as hell to get a bite from

i got one this year that was LARGE. no scale so who knows. 10s are not very scarce, but last time I had one on since that pig this year was maybe 5 yrs ago. lost at the boat, prob mid teens. I cant seem to get the steady teen bites year to year like some guys here do, the barracks and such, but I also dont punch or flip much anymore, on the delta those are top big fish techniques. Its pretty frustrating not being able to get those big girls to play year to year. I did have a few things click and open up for me this year tho, next year should be fun

As stated above Florida has the trophy catch program.

I had 3 over 8lbs and got $100 for each entry and 1 over 10 lbs and got $150. They give BassPro gift cards and other stuff.

Back in RI a 6 pound fish was a big fish and I only got one over and lost one I guess around 8. I think there here a couple of ponds that may have a bigger fish in them but never got it.

Now that I am in Florida, I think most ponds could hold a big fish. I got the 4 over 8 and more then 40 over 5. It only took a year to figure these fish out, the water is a lot warm then what I have been fishing all my life up north.

I lost about 3 times more big fish then I caught, had a couple of months where I was losing a big fish every weekend and one I would say was a teen fish over high 12.

My goal is to get a teen, I need to find some more good ponds to put in my rotation. I feel my chances are greater in Florida then back up north.

I hope everyone catches a monster bass this coming year.

Brian

Edited by bassbass

Our state record is 14 lb 12 oz caught 35 years ago, in lake Harrison lol. It's only 2 pounds shy of the Florida state record.

Florida has a 20.125 lb fish caught in 1923. Just FYI.

To the original question by R8R,

I feel fortunate to live in what I believe to be THE best big bass fishing area in the world. They're may be places that have more 10 lbers and where it's easier to catch a 10 but I'm not talking about 10's. I'm talking about GIANTS. Mid to upper teen fish. The kind that are only found in a few places on the planet. The best part about it is that most people don't think of Northern CA when they think of places to catch monster bass unless they're from CA. I have at least 8 lakes within a 2 hour drive of my house that give me a real good shot at a teener and they're all north of LA. They all have lake records over 16 lbs. I honestly believe that the lake where I fish at the most is the best big bass lake in the world right now. The amount of giant fish that come out of this lake in a year is nuts. And they're is almost always a mid to upper teen caught every year. There are also world class spotted bass. I've heard from multiple guys, who are very reliable sources, (both guys have fish over 17 and multiples over 15) that they've personally seen fish that they are almost certain are close to 20.

I fish a lot of the same lakes as R8R and even though there are plenty of big fish in these lakes, he is right about the rarity of the true giants. I really don't think many guys realize how few of these fish there are in a lake. There just aren't very many of them. They are around and they can be caught but it is super tough, even in California where "it's so easy to catch giants". LOL!

But what do I know. I've never caught a teener so don't quote my fishing philosophy. I'm just a dumb okie dude who likes to fish!

Brian what does the state get out of it by giving you guys money, what's the catch. Man that is a sweet program.

Cat,

It is a great program. The information provided by the person that catches the fish helps them determine what ponds are producing trophy bass. This helps with what ponds need and do not need management. It also helps them determine if the ponds that had management prior and start producing big fish then what they did worked.

BassPro and others donate the prizes, the person that catches the biggest bass for the season gets a ring, like a super bowl ring. Also each time you get awarded with a trophy catch you get 10 tickets that go into a drawing at the end of the season for a Phoenix bass boat.

Edited by bassbass

I live in northern Illinois. I've caught 3 fish over 5. A friend of mine caught a ten out of a pond when he was young and I know of some quarries that hold some close to that as well. I would say above 4 here is a good fish. Our state record is fake.

I think Indiana is very underrated. I've looked at topo maps and the quite a few of our lakes have decent visibility and plenty of structure, drop-offs, and the only pressure is from a few conventional fisherman. Gizzard shad and bluegill populations are abundant, and we have the Florida strain. Our state record is 14 lb 12 oz caught 35 years ago, in lake Harrison lol. It's only 2 pounds shy of the Florida state record. I still believe there is so much potential for DD fish and even teeners based on the lack of pressure and ideal conditions. Next year I will be able to fish big lakes from a boat rather than bank beating local ponds, so I believe my chances of the fish of a lifetime will increase.

What lake do you have Flordia Strain in Indiana? If so, it wouldn't matter unless it happened to be at a power plant reservoir.  Otherwise it is a waste of monies. 

In PA, I've seen 4 "special" fish for my area. Considering the location of 3 of the fish, I believe it to be the same one on three different occasions. The other was in a clear lake near my home, sitting on a bed in about 15 FOW.

In my ventures down south, I've seen two fish that literally left me speechless. One ate a 250 at the boat and somehow avoided the hooks. That one was over 10 without a doubt. The second fish, well, I wont make Evans relive that one too much but it was the biggest fish I've seen in the water.