Lure Retrieval

M4TT

Hey guys, how do you guys get lures that are at the bottom of the lake. i lost a lure thats around 30-35ft deep. The lake doesn't allow diving or anything so i was thinking of dragging a net...

any help is greatly appreciated.

did it snap off? if you're snagged you need to invest in a lure retriever tackelwarehouse sell a Daiwa one for around 20 bucks i think, here's a video of how to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxNbiT6KMc4

if it's snapped off at the bottom of the lake you cant really get it back unless you can see it. drag something on the bottom to hook it like a spoon or saltwater yoyo jig. 

Tactical Bassin has a great video about different lure retrievers and how to use them. If you're broken off already, a section of chain link fence and some rebar are your best bet for dragging. I tried dragging a cast net before, and all it did was ruin my net and still didn't get the bait back

I have one that I use that looks like a fish dressed as Bill Dance. ( I call him Bill ). It's on a chalk line with about 20 feet of string on it. The retriever itself weighs about 3 or 4 ounces and has chains that hang off of the front and rear of it. It slides onto your line and you send him down. He has saved me  thousands of dollars in swimbaits, crankbaits, and other lures. Since you're fishing deeper than the line that comes with Ol Bill, I suggest putting more rope on an old reel and using it instead of the chalk line. I think it ( Bill ) sells for around 20 bucks and after saving your first swimbait, it just paid for itself.

I don't know if Phil has any left/made anymore, but the Mag 44 is awesome, thing has saved me a ton of lures. I have the stainless version that weighs in around a pound. I have used it for everything from a Hudd to a damn t-rig (tungsten is expensive) and it works great. 

Best $36 I have spent in fishing. cms.philcrofoot@yahoo.com is his email, hit him up. 

maxresdefault.jpg

mag 44 isn't being made right now as he had some damage to his workshop and family stuff occur, but there is a good one on eBay that I use....best $20 i've spent and it paid for itself the first day i got it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lure-Retriever-Musky-Muskie-Pike-Bass-Swimbait-Retriever-/232167614778?hash=item360e44a93a:g:2PAAAOSwstxVZQeI

mag 44 isn't being made right now as he had some damage to his workshop and family stuff occur, but there is a good one on eBay that I use....best $20 i've spent and it paid for itself the first day i got it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lure-Retriever-Musky-Muskie-Pike-Bass-Swimbait-Retriever-/232167614778?hash=item360e44a93a:g:2PAAAOSwstxVZQeI

Yeah, Phil mentioned he lost his shop to a tornado, talk about rough. Hopefully he can get a shop back up and running. That one looks to get the job done. 

Not saying you should do it. But if it were me id dive in. Depending what the swimbait is worth sometimes breaking a rule is worth it. Thats just me though. Hope you get it back.

If you "fell" in one day I think you might be okay. I know in the non contact lake I frequent the staff always says that if we fall in when it's really hot to just get out asap.

Edited by gcopple

I don't know if Phil has any left/made anymore, but the Mag 44 is awesome, thing has saved me a ton of lures. I have the stainless version that weighs in around a pound. I have used it for everything from a Hudd to a damn t-rig (tungsten is expensive) and it works great. 

Best $36 I have spent in fishing. cms.philcrofoot@yahoo.com is his email, hit him up. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I talked to Phil about a week ago and he said hopefully he up and running this spring.