Slide Swimmer vs. Silent Killer ???

pzoutdoors

I'm new to the sb game so I apologize if this is a stupid question...

I've been looking to pick up some Deps Slide Swimmer 175's for next year and I'm seeing something confusing with the packaging of these baits.  Some listings on ebay/online tackle stores/etc. title the bait as a slide swimmer but are being shown in a silent killer box.  It's always been my understanding that they're two totally different baits.  Now I'm seeing things about converting baits from a silent killer to a slide swimmer so I'm even more confused.

Were the original foam versions called Silent Killers before they updated to the injected design?

Hoping someone can clear this up for me.  Thanks!

This applies to the deps 250. The original boxes will say slide swimmer if it's it's a slide swimmer and silent killer if it's a silent killer. Two completely different baits like you said. SK floats, has a bill and has a visible weight in the tail.

If they claim it's a slide swimmer but the box says silent killer, check for a bill. If it doesn't have a bill it's most likely been converted from a silent killer to be a slide swimmer, Or its just the wrong box.

This applies to the deps 250. The original boxes will say slide swimmer if it's it's a slide swimmer and silent killer if it's a silent killer. Two completely different baits like you said. SK floats, has a bill and has a visible weight in the tail.

If they claim it's a slide swimmer but the box says silent killer, check for a bill. If it doesn't have a bill it's most likely been converted from a silent killer to be a slide swimmer, Or its just the wrong box.

Thanks Rob!  Conversions only apply to a 250?   Below is a good example of a 175 that started the confusion.  Is this a case of a wrong box?  It looks like there is a space for a bill within the box...and also like there was a slit for a bill in the bait.

post-28493-0-98395400-1483118746_thumb.png

post-28493-0-88748200-1483118748_thumb.jpg

The OG Slide Swimmer 175's come in Silent Killer packaging from what I have experienced and believe to be true. The 250 probably did as well.  If you're interested in the new colors of the 175 that are out be sure to pay attention to the sink rate, they are making a lot of floaters now for some reason. Not a fan of the way Deps does their color choices and sink rates. Looks like the new bass patterns are float only which means you would have to modify the bait which I do not want to do and will not do so I won't be buying those colors I suppose.

Edited by SKSlide

The OG Slide Swimmer 175's come in Silent Killer packaging from what I have experienced and believe to be true. The 250 probably did as well.  If you're interested in the new colors of the 175 that are out be sure to pay attention to the sink rate, they are making a lot of floaters now for some reason. Not a fan of the way Deps does their color choices and sink rates. Looks like the new bass patterns are float only which means you would have to modify the bait which I do not want to do and will not do so I won't be buying those colors I suppose.

Thanks for the advice!  I have noticed that there are a ton of floating models available vs. the slow sink.  From the colors I've seen, I'd like to start with Bora Mullet, Mullet, Glass Cat, and the Member Limited Black but it seems like 3 out of the 4 are either going to be hard to find or really expensive when I do.

I see what you mean about the box. However The space for Bill on the bait and slot for bill in box are normal for all slide swimmers it's just how they come and are made. Looks like you got yourself a genuine (expensive) slide swimmer 175

Ok great, thanks for clearing that up.  Haha...unfortunately it seems like I have expensive taste in Deps colors...

I really like Glass Cat and can see it working well in the Wisconsin Fall when largemouth key into big gizzard shad.  

I haven't bought this yet...been in my ebay watch list for a while.  Hopefully I can find one in the Black Market for a reasonable price in the 3 more months of ice fishing ahead.

Be careful a guy named hisashi used to be the man to buy from and he got banned. Something is definitely up with Japanese resellers esp those selling a baits for 1/2 off imo.

Ok, thanks for the heads up!  That name sounds very familiar.......I think he's a big re-seller of Megabass Vision 110's

Be careful a guy named hisashi used to be the man to buy from and he got banned. Something is definitely up with Japanese resellers esp those selling a baits for 1/2 off imo.

I've bought plenty of times from these guys with no problems.

youzou1970

gabean2008

Once from yamato_angler, no problems.

I've bought plenty of times from these guys with no problems.

youzou1970

gabean2008

Once from yamato_angler, no problems.

YouZou, real deal Japan, shinok211 all have been legit..Frankytanky from China made good but had several hundred dollars in reels missing forever

All og SK and SS 175's came in the SK box..you can get og SS 175's on ebay for anywhere between 40-60$ on the regular..MOST Japan ebayers are pretty legit..the China ones have been scary (I had a reel take 6 months) but for the most part ok

I got a  new in box member black for $65 shipped earlier today on ebay after some negotiation.  Thought that was a decent deal...?  Do you think it's possible to find the colors I mentioned earlier (Bora Mullet, Mullet, Glass Cat) in that $40-$60 level?  Or in other words, what's the most I should be paying for these colors keeping in mind that it's December 30th...........in Wisconsin?  I appreciate the help!