Finder

buttaluns

Yea it's definitely not about getting lost, but more so knowing exactly where you are and what's around you. I was in Franks tract on the Delta years ago, I was hitting submerged isolated mounds I had previously marked, the water was stained and I couldn't see them, but because I had each one marked, I could pinpoint my presentations, was able to cash a hefty check because of those waypoints. I'll mark beds at low tide as well, come back and hit them later when the fish are less spooked, evendors the next season. I have 100s of waypoints like that marked,, very useful tool for sure. 

So if you don't have a chip for a lake can you still mark a waypoint for a res with no map and continue to go back to it even after you leave and were to come back the next day?

Yes, when you graph it and marked it you can go back later on. But it's so much better with a chip so you know the contours of the structure

Edited by R8R

The lake you're fishing could quite possibly be covered in a mapping card, or preloaded in a Lowrance unit. The small private lake in my old housing association is in my Lowrance, don't ask me how the heck they went out there and surveyed it. There's literally thousands of waterways already uploaded in the hds units, and can always update via WiFi any new software. 

I am surprised that given fluctuating water levels out in caly the chip still gives good reads....I think the biggest issue with missing structure is a sonar Blindspot. Reason being is unit will still give u a reading albeit a false one. Sonars have em near step ledges, and my si unit has one under the boat. Interference due to conditions is another issue. Getting speed right for SI to work yet another....Have never been impressed with chip maps, they are good to get a general idea of lake setup but that is about it.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I'm a lowrance guy but have used Bird, Garmin, Raymarine, etc on friends rigs... and for the most part it's a personal preference. I'm a big lowrance fan though.

Get a unit with GPS and side imaging (structure scan, whatever all the companies call it their own thing). They'll all come with basic sonar, which is still very useful. Side imaging is ABSOLUTELY invaluable for scouting water and structures. You will find things you never knew existed and can drop waypoints/icons on spots-on-the-spot and have them forever, regardless of water level fluctuations.

The touch screens are very very nice for map/scouting work, because you can touch the screen wherever you want to mark something, even on the side imaging, and the unit will place the GPS waypoint/icon ON THE SPOT... it doesn't have to put it where the boat is. AKA... I can drive by a stump on a rock pile 50 feet to the side of my boat and mark the exact location to come back to without ever driving over it exactly. On the Lowrance HDS Gen 2/3 units I run, you can even use the touch screen to scroll backward through your sonar and side imaging screens and mark stuff later on. This is on the water efficiency PhD-level class!  

I run two Lowrance units networked via a simple network cable (it's all just plug and play automatic) and when I touch/mark on one unit... it saves the waypoint/icon on both units. This is also invaluable for running the big motor and trolling motor both depending on if you're casting or motoring around.

I run both Navionics and Lakemaster chips in my Lowrance units. I've read endless reports about how Lakemaster chips won't work, it just depends which software version you're running and frankly, they're ALL listed online on a Lowrance software download site (even the older versions) so you can go get whatever software you need to make your stuff work just fine. That's what I did.

NEW THIS YEAR from Lowrance is SonarChart LIVE! This works with Navionics and allows you to create your own GPS maps in real time on the water... AKA it shows up right on your screen before your eyes... much more accurate than any pre-made mapping chip for the spots you'll fish. You can save these files and re-use them forever. Again... invaluable. For you guys with big water level fluctuations you can even create extremely detailed contour maps for the different water levels you see and SAVE them for future trips. Just save and name the file so you know what it is for later use. Look at some of the youtube videos for Sonarchart Live and you'll want it.

Anyway... endless discussion on topics like these but my experience has always been if 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish, only 5% or less of that 10% use their electronics efficiently.

Edited by Cranky

I am surprised that given fluctuating water levels out in caly the chip still gives good reads....I think the biggest issue with missing structure is a sonar Blindspot. Reason being is unit will still give u a reading albeit a false one. Sonars have em near step ledges, and my si unit has one under the boat. Interference due to conditions is another issue. Getting speed right for SI to work yet another....Have never been impressed with chip maps, they are good to get a general idea of lake setup but that is about it.

The difference between an HD chip map and a standard chip map is drastic. However, the reason for having the HD chip maps is to have a starting point for areas that's should be investigated more thoroughly. They do help when your area is hidden (submerged island for example) so that you can return to the area and approach it from the right angle. My brother and I found this to be extremely valuable one time while trying to find a submerged island in the middle of a large reservoir in a super dense fog. We never would have been able to find it if we didn't have the GPS mapping capabilities. But we did find it and we caught some really nice fish that morning.

Also, most modern graphs have the ability to change the waterline on your mapping card so that you can see what is underwater or out of the water. They usually have a large range of adjustment. It's amazing to most guys that we talk to when they realize that we've done most of our pre-fishing from home. It's saves so much time when you can sit in the boat at your house and run through your map to mark starting points based on current lake levels.