In the begining....

fishinpunk

Added fins today. Thanks for the compliments guys! I figured if I posted my progress, I would be more likely to finish it. This is carved from balsa and will be molded, then I will use those blanks as my experimentals. The final goal is a one and a two piece glide.

post-24775-0-19716900-1484193209_thumb.jpg

post-24775-0-83465200-1484193313_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

I figured it's time to update this project. I definitely learned a lot, and as most do, have a new appreciation for bait builders. I ended up making a master mold, with that I have made 2 two piece glides, and one single piece glide. I started with the single to get an idea of my resin/ micro balloon ratios and weight amount and placement, and I didn't have to worry about joints and a tail. It works when used slow but very erattic at fast speeds, more of a pike/ muskie lure in my mind. The 2 piece turned out better than I could have hoped! It's very responsive, glides pretty decent for a 7" bait. I may be biased but I truly think this bait has better action and movement than some of my purchased custom baits. A few points that helped me and may help someone else. 1. For weight placement and amount. This prevents from having to drill holes and saves time and resin. I have now also discovered that tungsten putty probably works better for this. 2 . A Dremel tool is priceless for making the pockets for the joint. 3. The tail body shape/ flare seemed to help with a more consistent glide. 4. The actual tail material. I tried plastisol with hardener and resin. The resin tail was far superior on my bait, tracked better, more consistent glide and definitely improved its ability to be burned without​ blowing out. Although I enjoyed this project and will do more in the future, I don't see me producing lures for sale, hats off to those who do!post-24775-0-28526400-1495295099_thumb.jpg