REEL: Shimano Tranx = Curado DSV Replacement ?

T Dot

post-19607-0-11861900-1485280776_thumb.jpg

Originally built to go toe-to-toe with the toughest saltwater predators, the Shimano Tranx Casting Reels have been re-sized to meet the demands of freshwater and inshore anglers. A true powerhouse-of-a-reel, the Shimano Tranx Casting Reels employ Shimano’s signature HAGANE, X-Ship, and HEG technologies, providing massive cranking power with every silky-smooth turn of the handle. 

Whether you’re targeting trophy largemouth or peacock bass, the Shimano Tranx Casting Reel boasts CoreProtect technology, which ensures long-lasting performance in the harshest environments. Championing the “big baits catch big bass†mantra, the Shimano Tranx Casting Reels packs an astounding 22lbs of drag (with the 5.8:1 model) into a low profile, ergonomic package, making it the reel-of-choice for large baits. 

Maintaining all of the tough-as-nails attributes that have earned its larger predecessors a reputation for reliability in the saltwater market, the Shimano Tranx Casting Reels provide bulletproof performance that sets-the-bar in-terms of raw power and performance.

LINK:

- http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/invisdescpage.html?pcode=TRX30

I purchased a bunch of DSV (grey version) reels when they first came out.  Then I moved into the 401d.  I missed my DSV so much, I bought them back from the buyer.  Finally the lowpro Conquest came out and I moved into those reels.  I think I am about to go full circle and pick up a bunch of these too.

"The compact body design allows for increased comfort and ergonomics. The physical size of the 300 is smaller than the current Curado 300E. We made the spool slightly taller to improve casting performance. It also aids in line pick up when using a slower gear ratio. "

Read this from another forum.

You like the dsv 300 better than the E300

Personally I just didnt like the color green.  I was already in deep with the DSV reels too.  I modified each reel with upgraded bearings and drag.  I also purchased extra spare spools.  There was zero incentive for me to switch to the E300.  That changed when the 401D came out, but I wish I had known the new Calcuta reels were going to come out shortly after.  If I had known that, I would have skipped over the 401D reels.

post-19607-0-66676500-1485728611_thumb.jpg

300 series. Standard handle and lower ratio.

post-19607-0-66676500-1485728611_thumb.jpg

300 series. Power handle and higher speed ratio.

My initial thoughts is the gearing feels like the Calcuta. Thumbs up! However, the high speed ratio reel only comes in the power handle. I personally don't like that. This looks like a winner and will definitely be a suitable Curado replacement.

There is almost no difference between the 300DSV and the 300E, I think the only difference is another bearing at the end of the crank handle instead of a bushing.  I don't have a 300E but have 2 300DSV and they are great reals, in fact looking at putting new gears in both, one has the boca orange seals for the spool bearings.  Great reals, hope this reel does give us something to replace it with made by shimano. The slower gear ratio would be nice too.

Edited by jcanaday495

attachicon.gifIMG_0923.JPG

Not sure what happened in my last post, but this is the 300series with the power handle.

So the higher GR only comes with that big bulky handle? That sucks,, and also seems backwards, usually a lower GR reel is equipped with a power handle...

I was looking into this reel for a mom setup, w the higher ratio,, I guess I'll be looking to swap handles if I go that route

So the higher GR only comes with that big bulky handle? That sucks,, and also seems backwards, usually a lower GR reel is equipped with a power handle...

Very similar to the curado ej with the power handle. Gotta remember this is a saltwater reel. Higher gear ratios=jigging= power handle in the salt