Swimbaits for Lahontan Cuttys

whompuscat658

I'm going to Pyramid Lake over spring break and I'm not sure which hudd to get for the trip, the rod 12 or 16?? I think I'll most likely be fishing from 10-20ft for the most part. I think I got all my fish at like 12ft last time. I want to fish them with a fairly fast retrieve so which one would work best? The 16 would most likely run better at the higher speeds right?

I actually ended up just deciding to go with the six inch and the rof12 is the fastest sinking so that's what I ordered. But, what about rigging it? Should I leave it as is with the jig hook or should I add a stinger? I feel like a stinger would be good considering I'm fishing for trout and not largemouth bass with huge bucket mouths. There are some big trout there but I don't want to have to rely on them taking the whole thing.

I do quite a bit of trout fishing, and I believe that you will definitely want a trailer hook to ensure you get hookups. Even though I have never fished pyramid lake, I would also probably advise you to take some smaller presentation baits jerk-baits and hair jigs in particular. From the fly fishing side, I really haven't seen guys throwing real big streamers in those lakes, mostly smaller stuff. they also seem to concentrate on fish in different areas of the water-column, so I would be sure to have baits that allow you to fish different depths. 

Pyramid Lake, Nevada. It's in a Paiute Indian Reservation like 45 minutes from Reno. The majority of the time, the fish are at or near the bottom. Last time I was there, I was stripping small white wooly buggers along the bottom and did really well.

I would personally throw a bait with treble hooks like a 6 inch triple trout or 6 inch bbz something jerky in motion would draw most strikes. Since trout like to nip baits rather than eat em, the trebles with grab those fish that just nip at it . Obviously if your going to throw soft baits like a 68 or a magdraft 7 inch or osprey 6 inch run stingers on the belly and on the tail with smaller trebles than you would us for bass. Thin wire trebles are best with light line 15lb. Good luck