Hudds during summer

brgbassmaster

Everything I see about Huddleston is about slowly bottom dragging in winter. I have a few rof 12s and was able to get out for the first trip just this weekend. Bass are spawning now with water at 65F. Does anyone use these during summer or mainly winter

I like fishing ROF 5 Hudds near the surface during spring/summer/fall anytime the fish are pretty active. I fish them within a foot of the surface and occasionally pop them up to make it look like a trout feeding on smaller baitfish/bugs. I think it gets more attention that way.

Fish them at any water temp and at whatever depth you think is appropriate. The bottom-hugging thing is more relevant when you have a trout stock, as the trout will try to keep their head near the bottom to keep the bass from head-shotting them. We don't have trout here, so I fish them higher in the water column.

From my experience I can't fish during winter because of ice. But I do fish them all year as soon as the water melts and right before the water freezes. Dragging them or swimming them up in the water. Produces all year round for me. Even if I don't hook up with 100% of the bites, I still get bites. Definitely a 365 day a year bait, if weather permts.

I don't normally do very good with hudds in the summer but there a few lakes near me that seem to get better in the summer for whatever reason and I've done really well with hudds at those lakes when it's hot. Normally it's in the evening or at night though but the water temp is in the high 80's.

Here are a few examples. All hudd fish were caught in 3-15 ft. of water with ROF 12.

8-0 and 8-12

post-18520-0-27771700-1489984211_thumb.jpeg

6-8

post-18520-0-66032500-1489984284_thumb.jpeg

7-10

post-18520-0-78198500-1489984242_thumb.jpeg

This one wasn't caught on a hudd but it was caught on a 7" osprey slow rolled on bottom in late May. Weight was 11-2.

post-18520-0-74026400-1489984356_thumb.jpeg