Coldest water temps for big baits.

Mountainryan

Hey SU, anyone else in the frozen north dying to throw big baits? I don't ice fish so I'm dying of boaredom and building the bait box. To the question in the title, everything is still frozen up here, once it thaws the temps will still be under 40. What is the low range for big baits? I plan on throwing 68 specials and 8" hudds dragging bottom. I have some mc paddle tails I can slow drag too. Any chance of picking up fish in these temps or leave the boat in the garage? Tight lines

I catch fish in central Maine before the ice is even off the whole lake from shore. Swaver 200, hudds and realpreys

listen to this man, took his advice and caught my first bass of the year in february at a place where half the lake was still covered 

I tried from shore today on a lake that was partially frozen (mind you it is currently freezing not thawing). Didn't catch anything but I was dragging a hudd 68 slow. Had to stop when it dipped below freezing and my reel iced up. 

I catch fish in central Maine before the ice is even off the whole lake from shore. Swaver 200, hudds and realpreys

Any tips for using the Swaver in cold water? I got a 200 over the winter but haven't tried it out yet. Is a slow lazy glide best? 

You guys are lucky, here in MN we can't fish for bass until early may because of DNR laws, except for a few sections on the Mississippi River that are open all year. Also some boarder waters that are nowhere close to me. I don't have to explain to you guys....Winter blows!

dude a rat in that cold of water for big fish?? thats friggin crazy!!! im doing something wrong, bite has been chit all winter

It was on Veteran's Day 2 years ago in November. Then last Veteran's Day I pulled a 5.9 on a slow bounced jig. Not the same as a big bait, but the slower the better.

Bass are not going to behave in just one way because the water is cold.  A lake can still be 50% frozen over and one day they will hit topwater or cranking baits and the next day you have to crawl or suspend a bait ever so slowly in the depths in order to get a bite.  Every experienced ice fisherman knows that some days the bass will grab a shiner and rip the line off a tilt and the next the bass will eat the shiner and not even move enough to trip the flag.  If you catch it right the ice-out fishing can be fantastic with fish moving extremely shallow and then a subsequent cloudy day will move those same fish back to the depths.  Just like the rest of the year each day is a new puzzle.