Got a Slammer

BASS_SWINGER

They vary a lot, the first 9" Slammer I ever bought I bought from TW. The package just said 9" Slammer in Light Trout. Caught a 9.5 on it, but it will hardly wake at all unless you CREEEEEP it. If you try a normal retrieve it will dive several feet. Bought another 9" Slammer in all black and that one will not dive at all no matter what you do. If you try to crank it it will just roll over, wakes well though stuck a lot of fish on it. When I compared the two, the Rainbow Slammer is a good 1/2 to 3/4oz heavier and the lip is an eighth to a quarter inch longer than the black one's. I think someone accidentally packaged a deep crank model in a normal package.

I bought ANOTHER 9" Slammer in Hitch and it splits the difference between the two. Wakes great, will dive to 2-3 feet if you crank it. And it is LOUD. I can hear it clack from 50 yards away while my other two you can't hear till they get real close.

About got to the point if I want another Slammer I'm going to order 5 Slammers and see which one sounds good and wakes right and then return the others back to TW.

One thing that cracks me up is when someone says "the old ones are this" or "the new ones are that". It doesn't hold true. I have old ones that are fat, old ones that are skinny. New ones that are fat or skinny. Old ones that crank well, new ones that crank well. I have old and new ones that are shorter, longer, wake, walk, crank....there's no consistency. If someone tries to sell one for more money cuz it's older, I'll tell them where to go. Yes, some slammers are better than others. The only slammer I was never able to get bit on was a 12" custom paint. Every slammer gets bit. My best is a 2012. But I have big fish on many slammers from 05 thru 2015 or 16. It's all about utilizing how they walk, wake, crank, sound and look in the right conditions, as well as colors appropriate for the day.

One thing that cracks me up is when someone says "the old ones are this" or "the new ones are that". It doesn't hold true. I have old ones that are fat, old ones that are skinny. New ones that are fat or skinny. Old ones that crank well, new ones that crank well. I have old and new ones that are shorter, longer, wake, walk, crank....there's no consistency. If someone tries to sell one for more money cuz it's older, I'll tell them where to go. Yes, some slammers are better than others. The only slammer I was never able to get bit on was a 12" custom paint. Every slammer gets bit. My best is a 2012. But I have big fish on many slammers from 05 thru 2015 or 16. It's all about utilizing how they walk, wake, crank, sound and look in the right conditions, as well as colors appropriate for the day.

Every slammer does something well. One might crank better, one might wake better, one might walk better. The biggest mistake is to get rid of it because it wakes or settings wierd. Make the bait fit the circumstance you're fishing. As far as the dates go I only fish 2014 baits with upward facing, brownish eyes that Mike bought from a gypsy in 2011. Hahaha. The dates are bullshit.