Florida Swimbait Start

JDWalker

Your question has a million answers and they all come down to personal preference.

Swimbaiting can suck, if catching lots of fish is your goal. I'd recommend getting a used, cheaper setup and choosing a couple baits to start with.

I've only fished Broward County over there, but there are a few fun species that will hit a swimbait there, in basically any canal you can find. I would get a Spro rat and start with that. It could even be thrown on a fairly heavy rod that you may already have for frogs or something.

The Spro is affordable, it gets bit, and will get you hooked. I started with a rago generic rat over 10 years ago, and wake baits getting blown up on hooks anyone.

Your question has a million answers and they all come down to personal preference.

Swimbaiting can suck, if catching lots of fish is your goal. I'd recommend getting a used, cheaper setup and choosing a couple baits to start with.

I've only fished Broward County over there, but there are a few fun species that will hit a swimbait there, in basically any canal you can find. I would get a Spro rat and start with that. It could even be thrown on a fairly heavy rod that you may already have for frogs or something.

The Spro is affordable, it gets bit, and will get you hooked. I started with a rago generic rat over 10 years ago, and wake baits getting blown up on hooks anyone.

what color for the rat?

I see a lot of people catching a lot of fish and big fish on the morning dawn, but that's probably because that's the color more people are using. I bought the brown rat recently. Still haven't fished it. 

Just buy a color you have confidence in.

Watch Bill Siemantel and Roland Martin catching some nice bass on the rat in Florida: https://youtu.be/4p7ww_AQLO0

I don't think you can go wrong with a cardiff 300 paired with a Daiwa DX or dobyns fury for a set up to start with. Get some rising son's, bullshad, swaver 168, Spro rat...don't know Florida but think those baits would do work in the shallower waters of florida. All baits are under $50 and the rod and reel combo can be had for $200

Rat color... I'd recommend anything that you have confidence in. Never seen a purple rat in real life, yet the morning dawn gets bit, so I don't think color is too crucial to the fish. I have a grey and a brown, both get equally crushed. If I were fishing at night as often as I used to, I'd go with the ninja (black).

Edited by hydrocephalic

JD, what part of FL are you fishing in? If you're in the grass filled, bowl lakes you will probably want to change up your approach than if you were fishing an old reclaimed mine lake that is 30ft deep and clean bottom. The few swimbaiters I know in FL like the weedless plastics for swimming along grass lines and at the edges of mats.