I want to fish California

ptr

didn't think any of the forums were designed for this kind of post so I figured i'd put it here. I grew up on the east coast and pretty much dreamed about fishing places like castaic and casitas my whole life. now I am out here stationed at 29 palms in southern cali and still haven't gone fishing. :lol: I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. google searches have only turned up a couple guide services (I emailed them and they never got back to me) and none of them seem to throw swimbaits. If anyone has any recommendations or is even looking for a fishing partner on a weekend, Id love to hear. any insight on how to get out would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

didn't think any of the forums were designed for this kind of post so I figured i'd put it here. I grew up on the east coast and pretty much dreamed about fishing places like castaic and casitas my whole life. now I am out here stationed at 29 palms in southern cali and still haven't gone fishing. :lol: I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. google searches have only turned up a couple guide services (I emailed them and they never got back to me) and none of them seem to throw swimbaits. If anyone has any recommendations or is even looking for a fishing partner on a weekend, Id love to hear. any insight on how to get out would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

points on lake castaic, ,8 inch rof 16 hudd in trout, big rod and reel. simple

Is this something you have done personally and found success with? I haven't heard anything about Castaic being simple from the people I know in the area.... In fact I hear Castaic as well as almost all of the S.Cal lakes are incredibly tough.

Is this something you have done personally and found success with? I haven't heard anything about Castaic being simple from the people I know in the area.... In fact I hear Castaic as well as almost all of the S.Cal lakes are incredibly tough.

Castaic, Piru, Casitas, and pyramid are all a BEETCH to fish. But, the method Jdo mentioned is one of the more successful techniques. Unless your Butch Brown and know EXACTLY where to go.

All these lakes have good fish in them, even some of the small overlooked ones. I think the key is find a place you can fish consistently so that you can find your own truths about the fish. I would say in general bigger fish are harder to catch anywhere you go.......you have to figure out time and place......and then try to stay on top of it as the fish change habits.

Just go fish....if you overthink it I think your going to be dissapointed...

JK

All these lakes have good fish in them, even some of the small overlooked ones. I think the key is find a place you can fish consistently so that you can find your own truths about the fish. I would say in general bigger fish are harder to catch anywhere you go.......you have to figure out time and place......and then try to stay on top of it as the fish change habits.

JK

Very true! When I got stationed in San Diego, from Illinois, I pretty much had to re-learn how to fish. Just be patient and keep a positive additude. One of the things that helped me the most was just going to a lake and walking the shore, chatting with locals.

Castaic, Piru, Casitas, and pyramid are all a BEETCH to fish. But, the method Jdo mentioned is one of the more successful techniques. Unless your Butch Brown and know EXACTLY where to go.

You are correct about all of the So Cal lakes being tough but I would argue that ol BB would not do any better than anyone else at the main lake. He knows how to fish a Hudd, that's a given. But I have been to Castaic countless times over the years and I have yet to see his boat anywhere besides that lagoon. As much as I hate to admit it, I've seen Bill Semenlips at all of the aforementioned lakes more than anyone else.

All of that being said, back to PTR's question. If I were you, I'd take my swimbaits and cruise to Silverwood. Plenty of shoreline access, plenty of big fish, and best of all it is just down the 15 from you.

JK

Damn J, Thats the best advise a swimbaiter could give!!!Other than that hire a guide who does the above!!!

That's what I was interested in since I don't have gear out here and don't plan on it since I'll be somewhere else shortly. However I didn't find any guides online really, do they exist? If this was permanent i'd have my gear and be out learning a lake/a new way of fishing every weekend.

thanks for all the replies though guys, I appreciate it

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct about all of the So Cal lakes being tough but I would argue that ol BB would not do any better than anyone else at the main lake. He knows how to fish a Hudd, that's a given. But I have been to Castaic countless times over the years and I have yet to see his boat anywhere besides that lagoon. As much as I hate to admit it, I've seen Bill Semenlips at all of the aforementioned lakes more than anyone else.

All of that being said, back to PTR's question. If I were you, I'd take my swimbaits and cruise to Silverwood. Plenty of shoreline access, plenty of big fish, and best of all it is just down the 15 from you.

That's because his little boat is only for the goon, almost everything else is fished in the ranger.

I was stationed in 29 palms for 4 years. I assume you're TAD there since you're saying it's a short stay. DVL and Silverwood are the two I used to hit but I'd recommend going with DVL, it's not that much further than Silverwood and the largemouth swimbait bite is much better. Silverwood does have a good striper bite though...I'm at Pendleton now, If I werent taking off soon I'd say meet me at DVL.