Glide bait tips, tricks, techniques

Flyingnose703

I've been doing a lot of research on glidebaits. They're one bait that neither my friend, nor I catch on very often, but they seem to be big fish catchers for a lot of other people. I realize that we don't use them a lot based on where we fish the most (weeds), but we've been fishing a lot more clear water. We typically have luck on rats, slammers and the like, but never anything big on glide Baits. I've been fishing S wavers and savage shineglides. I get a ton of follows, and a few small bites, but nothing like I see caught here. Wondering what you guys do to turn those big followers into biters.

One thing I've found is to have a soft plastic on standby, ready to go and when I get a missed hit or an aggressive follow I drop the plastic (6" hudd or weedless paddle tail) near where I saw the follower and about 50% of the time I can get another hit, but again, I'd like to see the hits come more on the glide Baits.

Thanks guys.

Try returning to those fish with a little chop on the water. I am also a newbie with glides sort of. I have used musky glides in the past but not bass ones. Only a handful of SBS ever get bit in calm water but as u have learned they do get followers....I have only been successful so far near weed or structure edges. I don't know how those utubers do it when they bomb casts and catch em in open water.

It takes a lot of practice and a lot of "JUST EAT THE STUPID BAIT" yelling at the huge followers you get, but then you start to learn and the bait starts turning the right directions when you get those followers. It takes a ton of frustration and I really struggled with it. I've had more big fish in the past couple months than ever before because I took the time to learn these baits.

Edited by Csweitzer

I remember when I had my first 175 flash carp, I threw it religiously for like 2 weeks and didn't get bit on it one time and in lakes I knew were holding fish, I sold it thinking wowwwww this POS. 

I ended up grabbing another one later on to give it another try, and I'm super glad I did. I've had a lot of success with it, and glides in general. I fish them using the reel to give the bait the action (mostly) on a high ratio reel. I'll give the bait a quick burn and pause, and repeat. I always think well what if theres a follower right now, so occasionally I'll switch it up and aggressively glide it or let it sit for a little more than usual.

the two most important things in my opinion when it comes to the glide baits are if you have a follower PAY ATTENTION. see what they're reacting too. most of the time when I get a follower, I just watch how the react and based off that switch it up and draw the bite. and, don't give up on it immediately. sometimes its just a small difference in retrieve that can change followers to biters. if you really apply some time on the water and pay attention to the retrieve methods you're using to draw followers and later on bites, you'll learn the bait quickly and have more success on the glides and fishing in general.

I am a relative newb to glides and I have done really well with them.  I don't know why I have.  I think the above advice is good.  Pay attention to how the fish is reacting to your bait.  They often require a bit of provoking to actually eat it.

I am a relative newb to glides and I have done really well with them.  I don't know why I have.  I think the above advice is good.  Pay attention to how the fish is reacting to your bait.  They often require a bit of provoking to actually eat it.

I love glide fishing and I am a lot like Chad who commented above. 

Yesterday was one of the first days I learned a lot from glide fishing even though I didn't land a fish. 

I was throwing a deps shooter 160 and only getting small followers barely bigger than the bait, then switched to an albino Neg, and got more followers and more interest. I noticed with the wider glide it got more aggressive tracking and fish got closer.

Also that on certain types of glides/twitches, they would react and bite. IT wouldn't be on a wide slow glide where i just let it flow out on a glide, I'd have to cut it back mid glide and a bit harder.  

They are super fun baits to fish!