Muskie Topwaters?

Nolan Aker

Ok guys, one of my first posts on here was asking about muskie baits for bass. Mind you, this was before I understood what the whole swimbait thing was about. Since then, I've come to wonder if muskie topwaters like crawlers, ploppers, prop baits, and wakes, or any combo of those would catch bass or if they're too noisy. I always thought they'd be great night fishing baits. They're usually cheaper than bass big baits too.

There are a number of muskie-only fishing forums and a few years ago I went on 4 or 5 of them and asked which muskie baits produced some big bass as a side catch.  The two types that seemed to catch the most bass (including some giant smallies) were (1) the Whopper Plopper type of bait with the tail piece that spins and (2) the creeper type which is sort of and overgrown Crazy Crawler.  The big muskie cranks, the one-piece glides, and the double bucktail spinners weren't mentioned as bass catchers.  I have thrown some of the big jointed, metal lipped muskie cranks for bass without a lot of success.

The simple answer is yes they will catch bass. My experience is while muskie fishing, bass are a let down so to speak so I never really paid attention. Whopper ploppers are proven bass catchers as well as Punkers, which are a glorified Giant Jackpot, Hog wobblers are another muskie wake that will catch bass. As far as too noisy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Generally u gotta be careful cuz alot of musky baits are made to retrieved super fast. That would work for sm....but there are some musky lures that work great for lm. Suicks r good. As somebody said creepers r awesome. I have a huge collection. But I only have confidence in one model, the hi fin creeper. If u see orange eyes, those are the polywood models, the best imo.

Productive musky lures for bass for me include American Hardwood lure Mini Lac Seul, the Hi Fin Creeper Poppabass mentioned, and Nimmer Swimmer top water Polly Wog junior and Undertow. Only got a couple on the undertow but they were both big.

• 3 weeks later...

Productive musky lures for bass for me include American Hardwood lure Mini Lac Seul, the Hi Fin Creeper Poppabass mentioned, and Nimmer Swimmer top water Polly Wog junior and Undertow. Only got a couple on the undertow but they were both big.

cant find anything about the undertow. does nimmer make em?? 

Went to Canada for 13 years (1 week trip every time) and only had one bass hit a musky/pike bait in all the years, and the veteran guides had "never seen anything like it", so it was surprising to them too. I was throwing a 10" Jackpot (similar to the Lunker Punker).

It was a small mouth, and looked like he could had been pushing 7 pounds. It knocked the crud out of the bait, launched the bait about 3 feet into the air, along with himself.

With all that being said, I would not take those odds if you are specifically targeting bass. But it also depends on if you need to use a leader to prevent from getting bit off by toothy critters.

Need a leader, I would give some musky baits a go. No leader needed, stick with the more "bass oriented baits".

i go to upstate new york every year and there are muskies in the lake. Ive thrown a big double bladed mepps spinner and it always surprises me how many bass i have accidentally caught on those big muskie spinners. 

i go to upstate new york every year and there are muskies in the lake. Ive thrown a big double bladed mepps spinner and it always surprises me how many bass i have accidentally caught on those big muskie spinners.

I have done well with mepps giant killers. I consider it a finesse bait really. It is a large heavy single Willow leaf inline spinner. It tracks straight and gets down a little. I like it on coffee colored fisheries.