NH New Swimbaiter

MikeOGNR

Hey guys been bass fishing for years now throwing conventional tackle from T rigs,crank baits,jigs.Although Recently I have been wanting to really get on a big fish. My personal best is a 6.1lb bass caught on a 10in Cury tail worm Texas rigged.  I recently went and picked up a Swimbait setup I have a 7ft Heavy action muskie Graphite rod with a shimano 401A cardiff reel spooled with 50lb braid and I picked up a huddleston 68 deluxe and a Huddelstion 8in. 68 is in Yellow Perch color ROF 12  and the 8in is in Golden Shiner ROF 5. I live in NH and primarily target ponds under 150 acres in the Epsom, Banstead, Northwood, Pittsfield area and know most of the places I fish hold bass well over 5lbs,. Really looking for tips on retrieves and maybe some insight as to anything that might help me get on some bigger fish. Been slow crawling it on the bottom as the water temps up here are in the low to mid 50s and I have managed a pickerel and a couple of bumps nothing yet though. Hopefully once the spawn rolls in the bite will pick up.

Welcome to the club. There's a few of us on here from nh that live/ fish a lot of the same areas you are. It's been tough so far this season with the weird weather we've had. Any questions feel free to ask

Yes it has been tough I've managed 2 bites on the hudds this year both being pickerel, but I've been slacking a bit throwing my Tried and true 7in and 10in gambler curly tail worms to get on fish, but I've been starting to get the hang of it. For some reason I can't get my Cardiff maybe it's just me, but it seems like my Cardiff isn't casting at its full potential.

You probably fish in my backyard

Most likely I fish up on a couple areas around barnstead a lot and a couple spots up on 107 in northwood. If your ever around and wanna fish let me know I always got an extra seat on the canoe.

Yes it has been tough I've managed 2 bites on the hudds this year both being pickerel, but I've been slacking a bit throwing my Tried and true 7in and 10in gambler curly tail worms to get on fish, but I've been starting to get the hang of it. For some reason I can't get my Cardiff maybe it's just me, but it seems like my Cardiff isn't casting at its full potential.

I felt the same when I got my cardiff. Whether it was the cleaning I gave it over the winter, or just wearing it in, I'm pretty happy with how it casts now. 

Welcome. It took me years to get bit on the hudd so I would not recommend it as a beginner bait...316 perch baits work well on a retrieve and twitch. Matt's hardgills r good too...SBS work great near coontail edges and in wind. Calm conditions r tough despite what the magic men here say about just throwing em anytime.

I felt the same when I got my cardiff. Whether it was the cleaning I gave it over the winter, or just wearing it in, I'm pretty happy with how it casts now.

Yea it feels odd too me I'm so used to casting with low profile baitcasters that the round reel feels odd. In the beginning I was getting the ghost drag because I didn't put a mono or Fluor backer before I spoiled with braid, solved that problem. I tried turning off all the brakes besides 1 and adjusted the tension spool a fair amount will see what that does.

Hey Mike, its Zack from MHS.  Welcome to SU, a lot of NE guys on this site and a surplus of information.  This is my first swimbait season as well but they have been treating me well.  There is a thread for new guys that you should check out if you haven't. 

Welcome. It took me years to get bit on the hudd so I would not recommend it as a beginner bait...316 perch baits work well on a retrieve and twitch. Matt's hardgills r good too...SBS work great near coontail edges and in wind. Calm conditions r tough despite what the magic men here say about just throwing em anytime.

The only soft style swimbait I've had luck with so far is the 3:16 minnow.

Welcome to the forum! I am new to swimbaits as well and I caught my first swimbait fish recently. A couple things I learned is to experiment with different retrieves when it comes any bait try not to strictly stick to slow rolling on the bottom but more importantly stay grinding man keep throwing that hudd till your arm falls off you will eventually get a good idea of how the fish want it. Best of luck and keep us updated