which hand to reel with

suicideswim9

I sit here contemplating something i heard the other day regarding the hand you reel with vs the hand you hold the rod in. I am right hand dominate and have always done the reeling with my right hand therefore fighting the fish with my 'weaker' hand/arm. What is everyones take on this? Do you reel with your dominate hand or your 'weaker' hand? It feels awkward to reel with my left but seems like it would make casting and everything else easier. 

Edited by suicideswim9

I'm right handed, cast with the rod in my right hand, reel with my left. 

Just spent a day jigging for Haddock with a right handed reel and it was very foreign for me at first. Being able to cast/reel with both hands is something i haven't gotten into yet haha

I'm right hand dominant, I cast with my right, switch rod to left hand and reel with right. Buttt that's how i've always fished so it feels normal. Though i'm super ambidextrous, I write with right hand use fork in left hand, bat lefty throw righty etc...that may have something to do with it...

I'm right hand dominate, but eat left handed quiet a bit, and I too have thought about this. LOL.  For something that you're chunking and winding, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make. I think with flipping though, it would have its place and it makes a lot of sense since you wouldn't have to switch hands all of the time......or maybe I should learn how to flip left handed. :shock:  If I have to use a fairy wand, I do use it with a left side reel and that feels natural as well. Maybe we all are putting too much thought into this. Lol

Personally..being right handed..i rather have my dominate stronger arm/hand cast, aim, control the thumb bar, jig, rod twitch.. whatever I need.. while my dumb hand just spins in circles

I tried it casting right, switching hands and retrieving right and missed several frog bites on touch down because of mid hand swap.. Was lame..and since I too waved the fairy wand right handed it just feels better to retrieve on the same side..

But to each their own

Edited by BigSlant

..and since I too waved the fairy wand right handed it just feels better to retrieve on the same side..

But to each their own

Not Anthony! Tell us it wasn't so! Haha

Jokes aside, I'm in agreement with pretty much everything stated. I'm a righty and was strongly considering going lefty when I first started using baitcasters, but a good friend passed down a righty combo to me and I just got used to it. Plus I didn't want to disappoint him by not using it so...

I think if I were to restart I'd definitely go lefty. Only problem is that lefty reels can be harder to come by

My first baticaster was a right handed because that's what the guy at the store told me to get (I am right handed). Since then, most of the reels I've used have been the same. However, several years ago, I bought a left handed reel for the sole purpose of flipping jigs since I wanted to be able to set the hook quickly if the fish hit immediately on the fall. It was awkward at first, but now I'm able to fish both fairly comfortably. Still fish right handed reels 90% of the time though.

Not Anthony! Tell us it wasn't so! Haha

Jokes aside, I'm in agreement with pretty much everything stated. I'm a righty and was strongly considering going lefty when I first started using baitcasters, but a good friend passed down a righty combo to me and I just got used to it. Plus I didn't want to disappoint him by not using it so...

I think if I were to restart I'd definitely go lefty. Only problem is that lefty reels can be harder to come by

If the one I gave Dave awhile ago made him the awkward hand switcher I apologize 😂

I'm mid 40's and concept of switching hands made no sense even as a child. Literally now 40+ years ago when I first cast. Made no sense then, makes 100x less sense now. There is exactly zero benefit switching hands. It's ridiculous.

I do, however, get argument of fatigue. I know some who alter (not switch every throw, big difference) depending upon technique. But to me, if it gets to that, it only means I got to man up. Maybe hit another 40oz curl from time to time or something. Or just deal with it. Whatever.

Personally..being right handed..i rather have my dominate stronger arm/hand cast, aim, control the thumb bar, jig, rod twitch.. whatever I need.. while my dumb hand just spins in circles

all very goods points here. Switching hands is counterproductive... and to think it is normal to reel with my left hand on spinning set ups but right hand on bait casters :face palm: