Smallie swimbaiting lakes in CA?

smallieaddict123

Hi Swimbait Underground,

This is going to seem ironic, but I'm wondering what some of the good smallie spots are in Northern Carlifornia. Preferably close to Moraga/Walnut Creek area! 

I have caught a few smallies at a reservoir close to me, but you aren't supposed to fish it, and I don't want to risk getting a fat ticket anymore.

I saw that some places like Berryessa and on rare occasion Clear Lake, I am wondering if anyone knows of some spots near my area I can go get some smallies at! 

(PS, I made my name right after I caught my first smallie, and I love the fight they put up but I've only caught a few.)

Thank you!

Will W.

I was at Almanor 2 weekends ago and the bed fishing was on fire, i'd imagine it still is as it looked to be the very beginning of the spawn.  That lake is full of 2.5lb smallies, not really swimbait grade fish however.  There are fish upwards of 5+ lbs but very few and far between.  The honey hole for smallies up here has to be trinity lake.  That lake is full of 4+ lb smallies iv had some pushing 6.  Also the chance of catching big LM out of there too.  Whiskeytown is another option, but i have no tips for that lake, it kicks my butt no matter what i do.

They are all pretty far drive from where you are at.  Maybe make a weekend trip out of it!  If they are too far, then definitely hit up berryessa. 

This kid is talking literally about his local area.. no Will.. unless you head north on the freeway.. they're isn't just something around walnut creek.. you Moraga boys need to get in the beamer and drive a lil ways.. rumour says in San leandro at quarry lakes there were smallmouth in the early 2000's.. try that.. a short ride down the hill..i know I'm being a d!ck but its about time.. don't be Jack

Edited by BigSlant

Don't know your area very well so I can't say what's really close but I've heard that Pardee is a great smallmouth lake. Other than that I'm not sure where else you could go.

I second Lake Pardee as it does have some quality smallmouths mostly in the 2 to 4lb range. Need good electronics as the bigger ones tend to be pretty deep in 40+ ft of water.