Hard bait problems

barkquackgurr88

Others on here may need to cut the over zealous Bullcrap, looking at the avatars.

If you're referring to me I meant no offense, and my apologies to Adam if it was taken this way. It's a legitimate struggle of mine that I can't catch a bass on a soft swimbait for the life of me, and by no means am I saying that it takes more skill to catch fish on hardbaits than softbaits.

I am no swimbait expert hence the absence of advice in my post Adam, but I have found that the bass in my home waters commit to hardbaits when I'm reeling them in just fast enough to get them to swim. I fish a small, ultra-clear, man-made lake and any erratic movement seems to shut them off. This goes against the reasoning of what a lot of people already said, but it's just something that I've experienced personally. Try different retrieves, bait profiles, colors, etc and find out what your fish want.

Be patient and don't be afraid to play with rigs. When I first started I threw a slammer for 6 months without a whiff. The rod I was using was too soft and didn't work bait right.

New guys shouldn't get discouraged reading stuff like this.  Wilt Chamberlain's record 100 points in an NBA game will likely fall before Bigpoppa's "six months Slammer fishing without a whiff".  Its not that hard unless you are casting in a swimming pool.  Think about where and when you catch fish on regular spinnerbaits, square bill cranks, rattletraps, and chatter baits.  You should be able to fish hard swimbaits in the same circumstances.  In general you will catch fewer fish but a better average size.  A 9" Slammer looks pretty big when you first start but but I catch more 2 to 3# bass on them than five pounders.  Its been written a million times on SU that the best way to do something like this is to leave all the softballs at home and dedicate the whole trip to hardballs.  I think you'll find it will work out.

Make long long cats with glides, Most people are afraid of hitting them on soemthing so they make short casts when your fishing glides that long cast gives fish time to hone in on the bait and bite it, with a soft bait you arnt scared to hit it on something so you make those bomb casts but sometimes you just have to bit the bullet and chuck glides as far and as close to stuff as you can. If the fish wants it they will get it if soft baits are working just keep using them and keep putting fish in the boat.

im in MA and have been getting fish on slammers! im the exact opposite,  i get bit on hardbaits more then soft baits

You still getting them on the Slammer with this cold we've had set in recently? I'm about ready to put my topwaters away for the season. Should I keep at it?

You still getting them on the Slammer with this cold we've had set in recently? I'm about ready to put my topwaters away for the season. Should I keep at it?

hell ya!! mostly at night tho! i got a few night trips left!  im willing to be ill get a slammer fish in december.