Slammer retrieves

mcaetano2905

Normal 9 inch slammers r primarily wake baits, but I have a couple that like to be cranked down....the 2x cranking slammer is a Cadillac and will crank down a couple of feet on even a slow retrieve. I like waking near weed edges, and since they began treating weeds annually I have drifted towards cranking 2x slammers with numbers way up but numbers of really big ones down.

I tend to crank in open water, especially over submerged cover.

Twitch hard/ wake after splashdown near cover

wake the weed edges

Bait does well on glass calm days but really shines when there is some wind and chop

Thanks! I have a 7" Slammer for about 5 years now. I usually fish it for a couple hours on almost every fishing trip, but only caught 1 bass and lost another one... I'm thinking about fishing it more next year and maybe I'll try a 9".

Edited by mcaetano2905

All my best fish on the Slammer have been caught while it was floating there not moving or immediately after I started waking it after a pause.

I've caught exactly one fish cranking a slammer and that was when I threw it out behind the boat to troll it while moving spots.