Calcutta conquest 301 vs 401

Capecodlunkerhunter

This was something I started looking into after not being satisfied with some 300 sized reels I tried out this fall. Saw a discussion on Universe about it and this video was shared--

Made sense to me. Got a good deal on a Conquest 400 and now I completely satisfied.

I've got it paired with an LDC 8'6" XH btw...and I don't want to throw anything else haha.

Edited by Bloodkitty

CC 300 or 400 for 1-3oz baits? Living in the midwest, the swimbaits I'm throwing are on the lower weight side of the spectrum so I'm leaning toward the 300 to better cast these 'lighter' baits. Plan on using 20lb sunline sniper.

I have a couple 301s, I prefer the narrower body for better palming, imo, there's no performance dif to the 400 sz, I've had them both and have never ran into a situation where the 300 sz lacked in line capacity. I like the round design better for continuous retrieve baits like wakes or A-rigs, and lean towards a higher speed low-pro tranx or curado for glides and punker type baits. As far as quality, the conquest is as good as it gets.

Did you watched the vid above?

The performance dif is the actual line pick up.

I know you quoted JR but I agree with your statement about the video. I ended up ordering the 300 and should get it next week. Just wanted the smaller size to palm better and a lighter spool when filled with line for the lighter baits I have.(Lightest are 1.5oz Gantarel Jr's, Magdrafts rigged weedless with a 1/4oz 6/0 owner beast hook) I'll post my thoughts on it casting a hudd 68 once the ice melts up here. I'll probably do what the guy in the video did and measure the inches picked up per turn at the end of a long cast for my own curiosity.

I throw baits in the 4.5 oz range no prob wit my 301s, and have thrown a 250 just fine but prefer a higher GR. For larger heavier baits I'd recommend a 400 sz, but again I prefer low pro reels for those. I speak from my own experience, catch plenty of fish with the setups I'm running, if it defies what the plump guy on the vid says to do, oh well. I fish from a boat and make relatively short casts for the fish I target, reels are not a one sz fits all tool. So for Mr. Capecodlunkerhunter, to answer your question, neither is "better", you'll likely end up getting both sizes if you're a junkie like the rest of us

My CC 300 came in today. Just opened it up and I'm impressed. The only negative thing I have to say is that I was surprised how narrow the spool is. It's actually narrower than the spool from a Curado 200 I. Tackle Warehouse's line capacity listings are wrong for the 300 and for 400 sizes at the least, Shimano's website is correct. CC 300 holds 190yds of 50lb Power Pro at 0.36mm. Sunline Sniper in 20lb is 0.37mm so I should be able to fit a little less than 190yds on the reel, I will be using backing of course and about 60yds of Sniper on top.

AcSmTJZl.jpg

Here's some pics on an Orochi XX Leviathan for size reference.

g1afDb1l.jpg

tvWBPeAl.jpg

A little update. I spooled some mono backing onto the reel so that the braid doesn't slip. Just enough mono to cover the bottom surface of the spool. Picked up a 150yds of 50lb Power Pro (0.36mm diameter) and filled the entire spool up. It is just about an 1/8" from the silver tapered part of the spool rim. Once it warms up I will make a long cast, pull about 10yds extra from the spool, cut it and tie on 20lb Sniper. I used braid as a majority of the backing because it weighs less than mono of the same diameter, I'm going for a lighter spool since most of my baits are 1.25-3oz.

Something else someone might find useful.

CC 300 spool weighs 29.2 grams - https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/2924

CC 400 spool weighs 32.3 grams - https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/2925