what line strength?

jaydubs11

you can get away with 17 pound or even 15 pound test in open water but when you break off your first really good fish your going to be pretty bummed!

With the lighter lines its all about the drag and letting the fish have the power, most of us here like to go bigger in line test and put it to the fish, giving them nothing and just cranking them in nonstop.

reasons why guys go to smaller pound test is

a. very pressured waters

b. super clear water

c. changing the action of the bait

i personally can't forgive myself for going smaller on the line and losing a fish / an expensive bait.

hope that helps

We use higher pound test lines because of all the stress of throwing big baits all day.

Some guys change their line after every trip because they just don't want it to be a factor.

It's about putting the factors in your favor

Last thing i want to be thinking about when i work so hard to get the right bite

is my line breaking

it's a confidence thing for me

we all will lose baits

just part of the game

I just don't want to lose them to factors i can control.

I think by the baits u listed one line wont do the job effectively. 20 lb mono will work on everything except the mission fish and weedless hudd(top hook hudd works good with 20lb). I have done ok with mono on a weedless hudd and mission fish but flouro or braid with less stretch seems to give me more positive hookups. I dont think the difference in 20lb and 15 lb diameter will be too much of a factor in getting bites on these baits so why throw the thinner stuff. Plus when a big one eats it with 10 ft of line out and bulldogs you, you'll want the extra pound test. Im a line freak and respool all the time, also retie alot with the bigger baits do to the stress of casting and retrieving. The worst thing is to have a big one on and have the line snap. Theres enough factors working against us already, line is a variable that we can control.