ice out tourney advice

dylan628

ive got a tournament on a public reservoir that is heavily pressured, plus it will be right after ice out. Biggest fish caught wins, dominant species is largemouth bass. I plan on throwing a tk modified with lead to a suspend and use it as a jerkbait, slow roll soft plastics and use a wake jr and very slow twitches on the grass flat. Any input would be much appreciated 

Edited by dylan628

Poppa, who makes that monster jack ?

Fish arrow. You can find cheap old models on eBay cheap. They now have a plastic model I have not tried. Wayne is right the wood ones have quality issues but have easy fixes. I seal the innermost tail section and lip with a couple of drops of crazy glue and reseal outside with Tru oil gunstock finish.....I have won a couple of club torneys in the spring on their trouts by wobbling, twitching and pausing em. Never did much on the retrieve tho. I never had one brake at the joints. I also tend to throw it on lighter rods up to an 1oz rating.

Edited by bigpoppabass

Attached is a pic of mj trouts in play. I have about 20 more in boxes having bought every art berry trout I could find. I am still on my first one doh. Art berry is red trout but I have had same success with regular trout.

post-20499-0-80976200-1521879912_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigpoppabass

I bought a coupe of the Monster Jacks early on.  A schoolie striper no more than 5 or 6 pounds swam off with the back half of the bait on one of my first uses, and no, I wasn't horsing him in.  The screw eyes that connect the 2 sections are thin and only about half an inch long.  When that PB hits I want a bait on my line that won't fall apart.  To me its not worth the risk.

I bought a coupe of the Monster Jacks early on. A schoolie striper no more than 5 or 6 pounds swam off with the back half of the bait on one of my first uses, and no, I wasn't horsing him in. The screw eyes that connect the 2 sections are thin and only about half an inch long. When that PB hits I want a bait on my line that won't fall apart. To me its not worth the risk.

Story Reminds me of ockechobbee specials made by Hildebrandt. Lost a pb sm at boat with bud calling it pilot error. It thrashed against aluminum lund. I then showed him half a spinnerbait.made from bismuth. Alot of folks have also steered away from gantarels for line tie problems. I suspect alot of baits were not tuned for heavy braid use. It puts a beating on em unless you do short casts with a more limber rod. I go copoly when braid peeps cry fowl with baits.

Edited by bigpoppabass