$580 down the drain

Andrewwang1769

Ouch!  They apparently know they broke something given that they taped up the destroyed part of the tube.  I wonder if it got caught in a conveyor or something.  Hopefully they step up and do the right thing.

I had a similar experience with UPS on a rod I shipped to a buyer. Shipped wrapped in bubble wrap in heavy PVC and it still arrived broken in two. UPS tried to tell me I had not shipped in secure container nor padded product. Guy I shipped it to sent it back to me and I took it down to UPS and said this is how I shipped it. You could see where the tube had been bent 90 degrees and thats not easy with heavy PVC. They ended up paying for it but obviously didn't want to. Their first response is always denial I was told and then it goes up the chain if you have any decent proof. So good luck with your claim. I am very cautious about shipping any rods now after that and really don't know how to best do it without the chance of breakage. Rod tubes are not susposed to be put on a conveyor belts but hand delivered to final shipping area. Yeah right.

Wow, just wow. I've seen more posts about rods breaking in shipping lately. Bummer man but I would fight this out to the bitter (or hopefully not) end with UPS.

Tried both UPS and USPS and BOTH tend to break more rods than they safely delivery nowadays.  problem is that they put these long tubes on a converyone and they're round so the roll to the sides and get jammed up and snap.

After 2 of the last 3 rods I sold online snapped in half (and were delivered that anyway) - I swore off selling any rods online or shipping them unless you can send enough in a squared off box that sits flat.   

Had a similar experience with UPS. I had 2 rods secure in a PVC tube plus I had a long piece of wood wrapped in plastic and taped to the rods,  A person who made and shipped rods for a living told me to do that to help keep the rods from breaking . UPS broke everything, the tube, the rods, and the wood. And they gave me the same line of bull**it that I hadn't secured the rods. Finally got my money but I'll never ship anything via UPS again.

I’ve bought rods from TW a few times and they’ve always arrived in good shape in the standard TW round rod tubes. Maybe TW has some sort of special deal? It would be interesting to hear from MOAM and LDC on their shipping experiences — I bet they’ve got a good technique for shipping rods damage-free.

I had my most expensive rod break in a tube from TW. It's really just luck whether or not it ships intact and always buy insurance and have proof of purchase of the rods values. Those tubes are tough too. I've stood on them and stomped them trying to break them before I cut them up and recycle them. Each person has different experiences with the big three different shippers. I've had two breaks with UPS, none with FedEx or USPS. Like mentioned above, I think most breaks happen when they get jammed on a conveyor. Can't remember where I got a rod from, but the tube arrived with a bunch of "do not convey" stickers on them. Could be worth it to ask when shipping if they have any of those stickers they could place on the tube.

OP I'd pay for the replacements from Dobyns. Keep on UPS about the claim and you'll probably come out ahead cash wise. Also, I can't believe you paid $180 for shipping knowing you'd also have to ship it back for roughly the same price when you left FL.