CNORG

Hinkle Trout or Roman Made Mother? My take on it is that the Mother is better to move slowly through the water column in those cold or chilly months, Hinkle Trout is effective in fast glides so better for warm to hot weather. What’s your guys take on it, and which one would you rather have in your box?

Hinkle for me. Mother is a good bait but all the maintenance of keeping it sealed keeps me away. IMO the hinkle can cut faster too therefore better able to trigger a follower. If money wasn't an issue, I'd be fishing them the same way you said, mother for colder Water, 40-49 and even up to 55ish, hinkle and deps from 50 degrees and higher. My older hinkle won't do it but my newer one I can fish fast by reeling and twitching it. Just gotta learn the limitations of the actual baits you have.

Hinkle for me. Mother is a good bait but all the maintenance of keeping it sealed keeps me away. IMO the hinkle can cut faster too therefore better able to trigger a follower. If money wasn't an issue, I'd be fishing them the same way you said, mother for colder Water, 40-49 and even up to 55ish, hinkle and deps from 50 degrees and higher. My older hinkle won't do it but my newer one I can fish fast by reeling and twitching it. Just gotta learn the limitations of the actual baits you have.

this guy knows...

100% agreed. I think the Roman Made Mother is great for those lethargic winter time bass that are suspended up off the bottom. Also, I think you threw out some great points on how the Hinkle can be fished fast like I first stated in the first post. 

crazybass fisher has a youtube video on how they both compare as far as gliding.  I don't have a hinkle but I appreciate their capability - from what I see on youtube. I do have a RM Mother, and I'm amazed at how it seems to swim on it's own.  

The hinkle swims like crap when worked fast

Not all hinkles are created equal. I have an older one that won't cut fast and blows out when sped up. I've caught very few fish on it because of this. However, my newer one doesn't blow out as easily and is more stable, also a much slower sink rate. I've caught plenty with it. The key to getting them to bite for me has been that stability and the ability to speed it up when a fish gets interested in it.