Interesting Long Rod Shipping Possibility

Bloodkitty

Maybe any rod. And I'm not sure if this will work, but:

On eBay it says I can ship a 5lb 107" x 3" x 3" (Dobyns 908 ina PVC) "irregular package" from LA to NY for roughly $30.  That's UPS ground with the eBay discount.

So, if you're selling a rod to someone you could list it as a "Buy it Now" with the "Or Best Offer" option on eBay. Exchange eBay names and coordinate a time with your buyer, then post. Buyer offers $1(or whatever), seller accepts and settle up the rest on PayPal so you don't have to pay the eBay fees. 

Also, I think the rod might be covered by eBay if it's broken during shipping, but I'm not sure.

Anyone tried something like this before?

All I know is, today I went to my neighborhood UPS store and a package of the same size would be $150 to ship from LA to Pheonix. $200 to North Carolina. And that's ridiculous. 

Thoughts?

P.S. I could drive the rod in my gas guzzling car to Pheonix and deliver it for cheaper than $150.

Edited by Bloodkitty

Interesting!

If ebay got wise to the ruse they would probably claim it's against terms and conditions, though it would probably be too late by the time they noticed to do much about it.

If I were to try this often, I would list the rod for a higher than normal price and accept an offer of, say, $50. Then pay my buddy back via PayPal after. Looks like a more legit transaction, and with eBay fees it's only a few more bucks as a little insurance to keep it low key.

I think if you sell it for a $1 or $50 eBay will only cover a $1 or $50 because that's how much you sold it for. It would not make sense to me that they would cover more then that because it was your choice to sell it at that price.