Hook Sharpening

chevro1et

Gentlemen, I need a seminar on hook sharpening, specifically top hook / jig hook / large weedless swimbait hooks.  Please feel free to mention specifics regarding the type of file / hook sharpener that you prefer, and a breakdown of technique.  Thanks.

Find the largest hook file you can find. Spray with wd40 and wipe with paper towel. You hit up the hook on three sides always from bottom to top and sometimes gently on the inside. I don't ever sharpen chemically sharpened hooks but that is open for some debate. I feel that it weakens the hook and removes the finish. When you get really good at it you can Barb down the hook. I prefer barbed down hooks especially on night baits.

Edited by bigpoppabass

Go on Tackle Warehouse and buy a Dr. Slick or EZE-Lap flat diamond hook sharpener.  The diamond sharpeners are FAR better than any file!  Triangulate the point- start with the part outside the bend and end with two sides on the inside of the bend.  The reason to end with the inner part is that no matter how carefully you sharpen, you will end up with a microscopic burr based on the last position of the hone. You would rather have that burr on the outside of the hook where it will catch on the fish flesh.  The key is to use a very light touch with these diamond sharpeners- you barely need any pressure and the lighter the touch the sharper you get.  Chemically sharpened hooks will sharpen just fine with this technique.