Baitsmith followers and Line question

Andrewwang1769

So yesterday I had a group of 3 fish with the smallest being 4-5 lbs and the largest being 7-8 lbs follow my mag yesterday. There is a fairly large tree on the bottom about 30 feet from the bank (my guess is those fish were sitting on that tree), the water was super clear, really sunny and not a cloud in the sky, and the bottom was a mix of sand and some tree branches, the pond also just got stocked with some fresh trout. The fish were nosing down on my mag but they wouldnt eat it. Pitched the mag out a couple more times and the same thing, they would follow it but wouldn't eat it. (the pond gets a lot of trout fisherman but I rarely see people throwing swimbaits and most of the swimbaits thrown are small hudds and glides) Im planning to head out again this weekend to target those fish again and I was looking for some advice on what i should do. Any help is appreciated.

On a side note, Ive seen many comments saying 20lb cxx is what most people use for baits like the 250, I currently have a tranx 300 with 20lb pf original and I havent had a problem with it but Im looking to try a different line. Deciding between 20lb cxx or 25lb pf original, was gonna go with 20lb cxx but found out that it is .5mm in diameter while 25lb pf is .41 mm in diameter. Which one should i choose? I dont want too thick of a line to mess up the retrieve on big glides but I also heard that cxx is really good. 

I've had success recently burning the mag just under the surface. It triggers the chase instinct and I have had them crush the mag. Also if they are following and you kill the bait, let it sink, then make a sharp jerk like the fish is fleeing it may trigger a strike instinct. Hope that helps, and good luck.

44 minutes ago, Fallof74 said:

I've had success recently burning the mag just under the surface. It triggers the chase instinct and I have had them crush the mag. Also if they are following and you kill the bait, let it sink, then make a sharp jerk like the fish is fleeing it may trigger a strike instinct. Hope that helps, and good luck.

The water temp is still pretty cold up here in MA but I will definitely have to try that. How deep of water are you fishing when burning the mag?