couple of questions

Briley17

I've been throwing a 250 phantom shad in my local lake here in nc.   And I'm getting tons of followers but I just can't get them to bite.   I've tried 180s and I've tried speeding it up really fast but nothing seems to work any advice is helpful.

also what is a good swimsuit reel under 130 dollars

It's all about how you work it, man. Think what prey would do. Slowly gliding will get follows, but if you quickly do a turn of the reel at a time, it makes quick and wide glides, switch up cadence occasionally and pause. But for the most part, think of a fleeing baitfish, they are fast, erratic, and scared. Imitate that and you'll get bit. Just takes practice is all.

2 hours ago, Peteisgood said:

It's all about how you work it, man. Think what prey would do. Slowly gliding will get follows, but if you quickly do a turn of the reel at a time, it makes quick and wide glides, switch up cadence occasionally and pause. But for the most part, think of a fleeing baitfish, they are fast, erratic, and scared. Imitate that and you'll get bit. Just takes practice is all.

Yeah seems like I’ve tried everything and my first couple of followers I did that and the just wasn’t interested so I stopped doing it thinking that I was doing something wrong I just gotta keep my confidence up but thank you

Big or little followers? I have tons of little followers, under 4 pounds, that are just curious about the bait. Never pay much attention to them throwing big baits personally. Big followers you just have to take it on a case by case basis. I've had them commit to it deadsticking the bait at the boat if they are following at a distance. If they come up hot and are right under the bait that's when I start twitching or throw in a reel pop or two. 

Also what part of NC?

I mean for the lakes I fish there pretty dang good fish but I did have one like 6-7 come up out of a treeand crushed it he never even followed the bait but I set the hook and he spit it after a few seconds

Slow your retrieve down earlier in the cast. The deps is a realistic enough bait, they can get a good look at it and commit without the reaction. I usually will spend the first few casts seeing how the fish react to different retrieves. My home lake has been weird recently, usually they like it almost walking w/ half turns, last couple weeks its been a really slow steady swim all the way to the boat. The second my glide stops, 180's or twitches, they run from it. 

9 hours ago, Csweitzer said:

Slow your retrieve down earlier in the cast. The deps is a realistic enough bait, they can get a good look at it and commit without the reaction. I usually will spend the first few casts seeing how the fish react to different retrieves. My home lake has been weird recently, usually they like it almost walking w/ half turns, last couple weeks its been a really slow steady swim all the way to the boat. The second my glide stops, 180's or twitches, they run from it. 

thats exactly how my fish are its so weird glad it isnt just me thank you