Dobyns Fury 795 or Okuma Guide Select "a" Series Swimbait Rod?

cptshocker

I'm at a fork in the road... should I get a Dobyns Fury 795 or Okuma Guide Select "a" Series Swimbait Rod? Both are in the same price range. 

I am going to throw 1-5 oz swimbaits so what would you recommend?

Also, what are your thoughts on the Shimano Cardiff 300a and would it pair well with one of these rods?

thanks,

cptshocker

I have the Okuma it was the first rod I bought to use for swimbaits and I have always loved it. I am pretty hard on my things I think of them as tools and put them to the full use and this rod has stood the test. anytime I'm not using the boat and walking the bank I take it with me. I just throw it in the truck and headed off to where ever I am fishing. I have also heard good things about the Dobyns and I'm sure people will lean towards that more I just have never used one so my opinion is pretty biased ha. You basically cant go wrong with either.

I think the Dobyns 806 is a more versatile rod.  I may not load up as well as the 795 on some of the smaller baits but it is much easier to throw baits that are lighter  than the rod is rated for than it is to throw Baits that are too heavy. 

I have the 795 with a Lews super duty wide spool. The heaviest I have  thrown is a S waver 200 at 3 .5 oz and it's great and I plan on throwing my 9" slammer with it when it arrives. I've never used the other rod.

Edited by Born 2 fish

I bought the 795 to replace my guide select heavy. I throw 9" slammers and S-waver 200 on the 795 without issue. I wouldn't throw jig hook baits with it, and I wouldn't get too close to it's 5oz rating. But I have to disagree with some of the other guys, IMO the rod rating on the Fury is WAAAAAY more accurate than that model of the guide select. I replaced my guide select because it felt like it started to load differently even going a feather's weight over 3oz. The Fury loads much better IMO. I currently have a Tatula HD200 on it but a Cardiff should work fine. If you plan to do most of your fishing at the upper rating (3+ oz) then the 806 will be a better choice. But if it's primarily going to be for stuff like bullshads, hardgills, 7" or 9" slammers I'd go 795. 

Agreed...I have experience with both and the GS loads WAY more on a cast than the 795. Don't expect either to handle the whole 1-5oz. In my opinion, both are in their prime throwing anything up to 3oz, and even then they both handle it very differently. If you can get your hands on one at a tackle shop that would be ideal as it all comes down on how you like to fish and use your rod. To me, the parabolic blank of the Guide Select feels like a limp noodle compared to the faster taper of the 795, but again that's just me.

The Cardiff 300 is a solid reel. It's pretty slow retrieve wise and the drag isn't much to boast about, but mine hasn't failed me yet and I got it used for like $40. I love mine and wouldn't hesitate to grab another.

If budget is a concern and you're still looking to upsize baits eventually, I'd strongly suggest that you look into the Fury 806. I love my 795, but there are many times that I've wished the 806 was available when I first started out. I'm saving up now and waiting for the black Friday sales to come around to grab one. :D

Hope this helps!

Dan

On 7/11/2018 at 7:08 PM, Nick S. said:

I think the Dobyns 806 is a more versatile rod.  I may not load up as well as the 795 on some of the smaller baits but it is much easier to throw baits that are lighter  than the rod is rated for than it is to throw Baits that are too heavy. 

100% I would rather have an over rated rod than an over stressed rod. Consider the 806 for the 2-5oz baits. And honestly you probably won’t throw anything under 2oz if it’s a swimbait rod. You can always use a flipping stick or big crank rod for the lighter stuff

On 7/11/2018 at 10:53 PM, NEbucketmouth19 said:

I bought the 795 to replace my guide select heavy. I throw 9" slammers and S-waver 200 on the 795 without issue. I wouldn't throw jig hook baits with it, and I wouldn't get too close to it's 5oz rating. But I have to disagree with some of the other guys, IMO the rod rating on the Fury is WAAAAAY more accurate than that model of the guide select. I replaced my guide select because it felt like it started to load differently even going a feather's weight over 3oz. The Fury loads much better IMO. I currently have a Tatula HD200 on it but a Cardiff should work fine. If you plan to do most of your fishing at the upper rating (3+ oz) then the 806 will be a better choice. But if it's primarily going to be for stuff like bullshads, hardgills, 7" or 9" slammers I'd go 795. 

I myself plan on going with the 795 and I noticed that said you use the Tatula 200 HD. I'm looking at getting the Tatula 200 that Daiwa released this year at ICast . Would this be ideal to handle swimbaits in the 1-3 oz range? Id it the same reel as the 200 HD?? Does the 795 serve as a good rod for treble hook baits as well as weedless swimbaits for example the 316 minnow, rising sons?

This is my first year throwing big baits. I went with the okuma gs series a xxh. Range of 2 to 10oz baits. I was pleasantly surprised how well it threw some light baits (whopper plopper 130 and a couple other sub 2oz baits). I have thrown up to a 9.5" 5oz glide with no issues. I'm very happy with it, especially when I paid around $90 for it. I use a tatula 200hd reel. I love this reel. Also got it for around $90. As a beginner I'm very happy with my set up. Is a dobyns better? Maybe. They are great rods no doubt. Can't really go wrong with any of these. Comes down to budget and range of baits to be thrown.

10 hours ago, Truegritangler said:

I myself plan on going with the 795 and I noticed that said you use the Tatula 200 HD. I'm looking at getting the Tatula 200 that Daiwa released this year at ICast . Would this be ideal to handle swimbaits in the 1-3 oz range? Id it the same reel as the 200 HD?? Does the 795 serve as a good rod for treble hook baits as well as weedless swimbaits for example the 316 minnow, rising sons?

I believe the new 200 sized Tatula is actually going to have MORE line capacity than the 200HD so yes it would make a great reel, I'm actually considering getting the new Tatula 200 to replace my Lexa 300 at some point. As for the rod, I use it exclusively for treble hook baits. You might be able to fish something like a weedless hudd 68 on it (especially if you were using braid) without issue but IMO the rod doesn't really have the power to drive home a 10/0 or 12/0 Beast hook like you would be using with the 3:16 Weedless. Again maybe with braid you'd be okay but I don't have experience fishing braid on the rod. Hope that helps!

12 hours ago, Truegritangler said:

The 795 is a excellent treble hook rod. And perfect for 1-3 oz bait's. I have mine paired with a Lews super duty wide spool. And absolutely love the combo. I can't answer your question about jig hook bait's as I have a heavier rod for those. And use the 795 exclusively for treble hook bait's and top water bait's.

Edited by Born 2 fish